Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strut bars

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 05:25 AM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Default Strut bars

Looking into grabbing a strut brace but have a few questions.

1- Do they significantly reduce body roll? **If you felt it, even just a little, it's significant to me.

2- Would it get in the way of a plenum cover?

3- Do some fit GTs only and others V6s? For instance, this here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...QQcmdZViewItem claims to only fit GTs and not V6s. How is this possible?

Thanks!
Old 07-16-2006, 12:53 PM
2006GTSC
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Strut bars

Hey Spartan, I have the Steeda Strut tower brace on a 2006 GT. I dont have a plenum cover, but it shouldnt get in the way how it looks. The most feel you will get out of the brace is if you are on a road racing track. But, if you are taking turns fast it does help. I also have the Eibach Pro-Kit and looking to change sway bars.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:17 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

There has been a lot of disucssion about strut tower bars in the past. Try using the search feature for digging up more information if you like.

But, in a nutshell:

1) Strut-tower bars aren't needed on our cars from a performance point of view. The S917 chassis is extremely stiff and simply doesn't have a flex problem. Even the "real" FR500 race cars don't run strut tower bars for this reason.

2) If you do want one, the BMR is the strongest one out there.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:01 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

I just think they look kinda cool! Esp. the Steeda adjustable one, maybe painted body color?
But does anyone have pic of one that clears the plenum cover?
Old 07-16-2006, 07:25 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Cool beans. Did some searching but nothing I found answered my third question.

How can one fit GTs only and another V6's only? I thought the two chassis were identical as far as the strut towers go.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:44 PM
Hatchman

I just ordered one today from Strange Development. It looks good, clears the hood, clears the intake plenum cover, is on sale, and sounds like they did there research and developement and it sounds like it works. I've heard a STB is a MUST on a vert. May main concern is stiffening up the chassis to prevent squeeks and rattles in the years down the road.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:47 PM
Hatchman

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl
1) Strut-tower bars aren't needed on our cars from a performance point of view. The S917 chassis is extremely stiff and simply doesn't have a flex problem. Even the "real" FR500 race cars don't run strut tower bars for this reason.
I didn't realize even the race cars didn't have one, that is a very valid point. But, most people on the forums that I have read about, especialy the verts, say they do make a noticeable difference.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:09 PM
classj
4th Gear Member

It looks good, clears the hood, clears the intake plenum cover, is on sale, and sounds like they did there research and developement and it sounds like it works.
Thats the one I was planning on getting too but I hear it dents up the hood pad pretty good.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:33 PM
jts
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SPARTAN VI

Looking into grabbing a strut brace but have a few questions.

1- Do they significantly reduce body roll? **If you felt it, even just a little, it's significant to me.

2- Would it get in the way of a plenum cover?

3- Do some fit GTs only and others V6s? For instance, this here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...QQcmdZViewItem claims to only fit GTs and not V6s. How is this possible?

Thanks!
I have a 2005 'vert,I bought the Ford Racing strut bar
NO noticeable difference,but looks cool.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:02 AM
Hatchman

I thought the Ford Shelby STB was the one that dented up the hood pad pretty good. I've already taken my hood pad out.

ORIGINAL: classj

It looks good, clears the hood, clears the intake plenum cover, is on sale, and sounds like they did there research and developement and it sounds like it works.
Thats the one I was planning on getting too but I hear it dents up the hood pad pretty good.

Quick Reply: Strut bars