Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ticket advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 09:51 PM
beastzilla02
5th Gear Member

Default RE: ticket advice

its funny when the cop gives u advice on how to help ubeat the ticket they just gave u..its like then why the **** r u giving it tome moron. **** cops.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:04 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2GKT5
ORIGINAL: cekim
b. I have heard it at least one time hear and many other times elsewhere that cops don't like "I don't know" when they ask "do you know how fast you were going" - it tells them you weren't paying attention which is precisely what they are most worried about.
Au contraire. Watch "How To Avoid Being Arrested" on google video. It states (and I've heard elsewhere) that you should NOT tell the police your speed. Telling a cop your speed not only admits guilt, but can possibly admit guilt to a speed faster than that the police clocked you at.

Remember... "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt"
Well, if it was on google, then it must be true... I stand corrected, humilated and otherwise humbled

What it really comes down to is whether you have been pulled over by a "Traffic Cop" or just an officer on duty who saw you doing something stupid...

Someone doing traffic duty is pulling you over to give you a ticket...

A patrol officer who pulled you over did so because, most of the time, he honestly gives a !@#$ if you hurt yourself or someone else...

Trouble is you don't know which one you have gotten...

Saying nothing is certainly safer than saying "I don't know".
Old 07-23-2006, 10:15 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 97GT19
its funny when the cop gives u advice on how to help ubeat the ticket they just gave u..its like then why the **** r u giving it tome moron. **** cops.
a. many do have quotas - just doing their jobs - one that did that is a nice one with a quota
Don't like the system - talk to the state/local government - not the cop.

b. There are bad cops and there are good cops - I have met an awful lot more good cops than bad (even have a few in the family)...

c. there are good drivers and bad drivers - I have met an awful lot more bad drivers than good.

If you weren't speeding and he screwed up - fight the ticket.

If you were speeding - well, deal with it - its not the cop's fault you decided to go fast.

Cops have to put up with an extraordinary amount of crap from everyone they deal with... Many have the displeasure of dealing with the worst people at their worst everyday of the week...
[/rant]
Old 07-23-2006, 10:18 PM
2GKT5
2nd Gear Member

Although on google, it was made by the American Civil Liberties Union, so I would hope it holds some credibility

I like Dragons response. Cheesy but works. Too bad I'll still end up getting the ticket [sm=boohoo.gif]
Old 07-23-2006, 10:18 PM
BAMFstang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sa3geabx

In most cases, when you plead not guilty to a ticket for the first time and show up at court, you're given the choice to plead the case or just pay the cost of the ticket and have the points removed. I was hit for doing an 83 in a 45 and chose the latter. Trust me, it's worth paying the ticket and not having your insurance raised rather than risk losing. Good luck, I hope they give you the option to just pay.
Where the heck do you live?

Here in Michigan you get the points no matter what. As soon as you plead or are found guilty of the infraction. There is no pay the fine but they waive the points. The points are automatically assigned to each violation. Judges have no pwer over the amount of points given to you. The state has a pre-determined scale that is assigned to each violation.

Your only hope to not get points is to beat the ticket or have it redcued to a non-moving violation.

Old 07-23-2006, 10:24 PM
cekim
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2GKT5
Although on google, it was made by the American Civil Liberties Union, so I would hope it holds some credibility
LOL - that makes it all better

Hey, I am very greatful to the ACLU - they need to exist and they need to do what they do - if they didn't life would certainly suck...

But unbiased and objective they are not.... They are lawyers - laywers live a different world (got lots of those in the family too - I am married to one)...

I think the problem comes down to cops being humans - they are all different.

I think it is perfectly valid to take the least risky path and not incriminate yourself - I was just pointing out that "I don't know" is a lousy way of doing that.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:50 PM
BLACK06GT4ME
2nd Gear Member

You did the crime....... pay the fine.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:22 AM
Ruffnuts
2nd Gear Member

ACLU= USELESS
Old 07-24-2006, 01:59 AM
superiormirage
2nd Gear Member

a. many do have quotas - just doing their jobs - one that did that is a nice one with a quota
Don't like the system - talk to the state/local government - not the cop.

b. There are bad cops and there are good cops - I have met an awful lot more good cops than bad (even have a few in the family)...

c. there are good drivers and bad drivers - I have met an awful lot more bad drivers than good.

If you weren't speeding and he screwed up - fight the ticket.

If you were speeding - well, deal with it - its not the cop's fault you decided to go fast.

Cops have to put up with an extraordinary amount of crap from everyone they deal with... Many have the displeasure of dealing with the worst people at their worst everyday of the week...
[/rant]
+1. As cekim said, cops deal with the worst people on the planet on a daily basis, and see the worst side of people. There are bad cops out there, but 90% of them do, on some level, care about protecting and serving. They are doing their job to protect you, and the other drivers you ride alongside.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:59 PM
IcanDrive55
1st Gear Member

Can only give my opinion..some will like it and some not.

The reason I usually ask if somebody knows how fast they were going is because I want to know if atleast I'm dealing with somebody that a) is being truthful b) if they were truly aware of their speed. If they tell me they don't know how fast they were going the ticket will probably show them. If they're honest about the speed then I will generally ask why they were speeding. If they've already been honest about the speed then it's certainly possible that they may be honest about the reason they were speeding. I often will reduce the speed on the ticket and I always note the reasons that were given and the actual speed. In our jurisdiction we then have the option if somebody pleads not guilty of raising the speed back to the actual speed before trial, as long as it is noted on the ticket. In most cases, it works well for all. The violator gets a break, usually pretty significant, on the speed and I get fewer trials in court (although that's not a big deal as I'm required to be there anyway on my court date). As an example I had a guy this week that plead not guilty on a ticket that I wrote at 70 in a 55 when his actual speed was 84. He plead not guilty and we did a trial. The ticket at 70 would have been about $150 if he paid it. Once he lost the trial at 84 the ticket was about $850 with court costs.

As far as the comment about why would the **** cop right you a ticket and then tell you how to 'fight' it. I often tell people what they can do to better their chances. Suggesting a defensive driving course is an example. In spite of what some people think not all cops are out there to screw everybody, but what would the roadways be like if there was no enforcement? I stopped a stretch limo earlier this week driving 95 in a 55 changing lanes through traffic. I wrote him for 95, reckless driving and impounded the limo. He was cooperative from the beginning of the stop to the end and admitted he probably should be in jail. Because of his attitude I told him that if he attends a defensive driving course and appears in court and pleads guilty to the speed (that he estimated himself at 90-100) I would talk to the prosecutor about dropping the reckless driving ticket. It's still a huge fine for a huge mistake but a much better deal than it could be.

I always try to do what I would think is 'fair' if I was the driver. If you are honest then the worst that can happen is you get a ticket for what you were actually doing and deserved to get in the first place. It also gives you a chance for a break. If you claim you "don't know" how fast you were going or "I wasn't going that fast", the chances are much better there wont be a break.