Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Never have I ever....

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 11:38 PM
skilz4u2nv
3rd Gear Member

Default Never have I ever....

Seen something like this before... Im driving and all of a sudden I hear a horrible, but I mean horrible, grinding and clanking noise coming from my left front wheel...I'm thinking damn a screw or some sort of object is lodged into my tire... But I get out and look and nothing.. Everything looks good... I drive some more and I hear more of the same noise... I have some aftermarket rims on it so I decide to take the cover off that hide the lug nuts, thinking that perhaps somehow a pebble got stuck in there... Sure enough something rolls out... Wasnt a pebble though.. It was a lug nut that falls to the floor... That wasn't even the weird part... The messed up thing is that the lug nut still had the bolt from the rotor inside... Somehow the bolt had sheared off completely... Thoughts?! Comments?! Anyone?!
Sure sounds like an expensive fix as I feel like this is not a warranty type claim! [:@]
Old 07-25-2006, 11:44 PM
olym4gery
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Never have I ever....

I don't think it's that expensive.

The nut worked loose, the other nuts are possibly loose as well.

Check the rest, all the way around the car.

Check the lug bolts on the effected wheel for damage.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:15 AM
Newbreedgt05
3rd Gear Member

It was probably a nut that was tightened too tight. If the hole in the wheel was not drilled accurately, it could have put stress on that bolt causing it to shear off over a period of time. Most likely the nut was tightened too tight though. The bolts are just pounded into the hub and can be replaced fairly easily. The broken piece can be pounded back out and new bolt pounded back through the hole.

Richard
Old 07-26-2006, 12:26 AM
skilz4u2nv
3rd Gear Member

Really its that simple?.. That part of the car I know very little about.. Anything near the brakes and rotors I stay clear of... I always thought the bolts were part of the rotors...

ORIGINAL: Newbreedgt05

It was probably a nut that was tightened too tight. If the hole in the wheel was not drilled accurately, it could have put stress on that bolt causing it to shear off over a period of time. Most likely the nut was tightened too tight though. The bolts are just pounded into the hub and can be replaced fairly easily. The broken piece can be pounded back out and new bolt pounded back through the hole.

Richard
Old 07-26-2006, 01:37 AM
Tracedaddy
4th Gear Member

I had a wheel on my F-150 come off! Thankfully I was going around a corner at a light instead of a long sweeping right-hander I normally take at 65 mph. I learned that day that it's a wise practice to retorque your lug nuts after a few hundred miles every time you have the wheels off. Apparently what you might think of as snug isn't always so.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:25 AM
GT Premi
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: olym4gery

I don't think it's that expensive.

The nut worked loose, the other nuts are possibly loose as well.

Check the rest, all the way around the car.

Check the lug bolts on the effected wheel for damage.
skillz4u2nv said:
... The messed up thing is that the lug nut still had the bolt from the rotor inside... Somehow the bolt had sheared off completely...
Excellent reading skills, olym4gery! [sm=icon_rofl.gif]

j/k

Old 07-26-2006, 11:49 AM
Rrruss
1st Gear Member

My '76 Lemans had aftermarket wheels and one afternoon I heard a nasty sound coming from the left rear, then the rear end started hopping.... 4 of the 5 lugs had sheared off the way you describe.

The shop said that the factory lug bolts (at least back then) were hollow to save weight, except for 1 solid lug for safety reasons?
Supposedly they replaced all 5 lug bolts with the solid safety ones and I never had another problem. They fixed it that afternoon and don't think it was too expensive.

In your case the lug was probably just over torqued causing it to fail. If you recently had the tires rotated (or some other work involving removing that tire) I would go to the place that did the work and ask them to fix it.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:05 PM
StartMeUp
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tracedaddy

I had a wheel on my F-150 come off! Thankfully I was going around a corner at a light instead of a long sweeping right-hander I normally take at 65 mph. I learned that day that it's a wise practice to retorque your lug nuts after a few hundred miles every time you have the wheels off. Apparently what you might think of as snug isn't always so.
Off topic question, sorry, but what year F-150 do you have? If memory serves, Ford issued a recall on 97 and 98's to replace lug nuts. Evidently they tried some type of coating to prevent seizure and it worked really, really well.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:18 PM
Moonbaby1973
2nd Gear Member

I would suggest putting the stock rims and tires on (if you still have them) and taking it to the dealership. As long as they dont know you had aftermarket wheels on it, they might just fix it under warranty. It sure wont hurt to try.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:46 PM
fin1
1st Gear Member

I had one fail too. I've had my rims off and on so many time it was bound to happen. It's easy to replace. Takes about 15-20 minutes.

Order a replacement from ford (few bucks). Once you get the replacement stud, you will have to remove the rim, unbolt the caliper (leave it attached to brake line but makes sure you support the caliper with a hanger or rest it on a box (do not hang it by the brake line)) and slide off the rotor (you many need to remove a clip holding the rotor on... this won't be needed again). Then use a hammer to bang out the broken lug. Put the new lug in and hammer it in as far as you can. One you tighten the lug with the rim on, it will pull the rest of the way in. Then slide the rotor back on and re-bolt the caliper back on.

Or, take it to Ford and have them replace it.

Quick Reply: Never have I ever....