Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealership Complaint

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 04:23 PM
stl314159

Default Dealership Complaint

I bought my '06 MGT a little over a month ago and I still have not received the second set of keys from the dealership (long story as to why they weren't with the car).

Between my salesman and, more recently, the sales manager I have called the dealership more than 10 times. Each time I have called I've been told that they are looking in to the issue and will call me the next day which has never happened. I can't for the life of me fathom how it would take over 30 days to "look into" cutting me a new key. Their first resolution to the issue was to tell me that there was no second set of keys and that I would have to pay to have one cut which I told them was unacceptable.

At this point the missing key is much less frustrating than the total lack of respect the dealership has showed me in regards to the issue. I couldn't be happier with the Mustang, but the appalling customer service I have received from the dealership that sold me the car might just make this the first and last Ford I will ever own.

Long story short, I have decided to file a complaint with the local Better Business Bureau. I would also like to send a formal complaint to the Ford, who I presume has a vested interest when it comes to dealerships driving customers away from their brand. I found an address for the customer relations department on the Ford website, but I was wondering if that would be the best place to send my letter. Have any of you filed a complaint with Ford? Has it gotten you any closer to a resolution on your issue? Do you have any other suggestions for me?

Thanks for the help. This community has made owning a Mustang so much more fun that it already was.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:30 PM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Dealership Complaint

Ford sends you a return letter or email informing you that "what dealers do is not their responsibility". Silly I know. I'm betting the key issue is a simple matter of the dealership arguing with Ford over who "lost" them ,and who will be paying for the new set. Meanwhile you go without. What I would do if I were you is,I'd go to the parts department of the dealership and tell them you need an "extra key". When they either tell you you can have it tomorrow, or in a few days, pay with a credit card,take the reciept and walk around to the sales room and show the salesman that your new key is on its way. If they balk, just cancel the credit card purchase.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:30 PM
KdF
1st Gear Member

My advice is to call the Ford Customer Service and BITCH!

1-800-392-3673(FORD)
Old 08-11-2006, 04:40 PM
SlappyGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: KdF

My advice is to call the Ford Customer Service and BITCH!

1-800-392-3673(FORD)
Call them, write them, email them, do whatever you can. Be the biggest thorn in their side you can. Tell them you plan to contact the BBB. Bitch, bitch, and bitch some more until you get something back. I did it with Nissan with my last car (they tried to tell me my modification voided my warranty), I bitched and bitched until I got new headlights, a new ECU, and my front and back bumpers painted all at their cost. Don't just go for your key anymore, either. Get whatever you can out of them. Maybe a set of stripes, a few oil changes, some tires, whatever. Just get something out of them for all your time and all the bull****.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:56 PM
stl314159

Ford sends you a return letter or email informing you that "what dealers do is not their responsibility".
Well it's no secret why they are facing financial struggles than. If their representatives only treat you like a customer until you sign the purchase agreement then decide you are not worth a return phone call they are probably driving away a lot of repeat business. I'm not generally one to complain, before I do I usually do my homework (hence this thread). I read that the automobile industry average for repeat customers is 49.6%. In 2003 Ford had an impressive customer retention rating of 58.1% which has dropped significantly over the last two years to 40%. That 18.1% could probably make or break most companies in the automobile industry, Ford included.

Like I said in the first post... I love my mustang! However the next time I am in the market for a new car I will do some more research into their customer service practices before ever stepping foot on the lot. All over a set of car keys, what a shame.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:13 PM
BAMFstang
3rd Gear Member

Best advice is make it known that you are a loyal Ford customer and this experience has soured you to their products and company in general.

Write a letter, phone calls are too easy to dismiss cause you never talk to the same person twice.

Letters show you care enough about the issue to take the time to actually spell out your problems with the situation.

An example: My car was recently hit in a local chain grocery store parking lot by a rogue cart. I had parked all alone way out away from all the other cars and cart corralls like I always do. Well the cart hit my hood and ruined one of my stripes.

I summoned a manager who took an incident report and told me he would turn it in.

I recieved a form letter a couple days later telling me that they are not responsible for the damage and I should file a claim with my insurance company.

Hell no!

So I sat down and put together a very toughtful letter to the corporate office. I simply explained that customer loyalty in todays marketplace is a rare commodity and they have lost mine. I made sure to tell then that I had drove past competitiors to spend my money in their store. I politely explained that what amounted to $100 in damage, was going to cost them thousands and thousands of dollars in future business. I would also relay my experience to all my friends and family.

Well they ended up sending me a gift card to use in the store for $150. That covered my cost of repairs and then some extra.

If I had simply given up on the first denial I would have ate the cost myself.

Basically you have to rattle the branches until someone with power notices.

Make sure you are polite, respectful and sincere in the letter. However make your point very clear that this key issue will cost them many future sales.

Trust me it works.

Old 08-11-2006, 07:19 PM
siggy14
2nd Gear Member

This tatic is how i got my car $2000 below invoice. By explaining to them that i am a loyal customer and if they werent willing to meet my terms they were losing a customer for life they eventually folded.

But now to the original problem. Your best bet is to first write the General Manager of the dealership and express your concerns and how disappointed you are. Trust me if he is a good GM he will take care of you mighty quick.

ORIGINAL: Ben Wallace

Best advice is make it known that you are a loyal Ford customer and this experience has soured you to their products and company in general.

Write a letter, phone calls are too easy to dismiss cause you never talk to the same person twice.

Letters show you care enough about the issue to take the time to actually spell out your problems with the situation.

An example: My car was recently hit in a local chain grocery store parking lot by a rogue cart. I had parked all alone way out away from all the other cars and cart corralls like I always do. Well the cart hit my hood and ruined one of my stripes.

I summoned a manager who took an incident report and told me he would turn it in.

I recieved a form letter a couple days later telling me that they are not responsible for the damage and I should file a claim with my insurance company.

Hell no!

So I sat down and put together a very toughtful letter to the corporate office. I simply explained that customer loyalty in todays marketplace is a rare commodity and they have lost mine. I made sure to tell then that I had drove past competitiors to spend my money in their store. I politely explained that what amounted to $100 in damage, was going to cost them thousands and thousands of dollars in future business. I would also relay my experience to all my friends and family.

Well they ended up sending me a gift card to use in the store for $150. That covered my cost of repairs and then some extra.

If I had simply given up on the first denial I would have ate the cost myself.

Basically you have to rattle the branches until someone with power notices.

Make sure you are polite, respectful and sincere in the letter. However make your point very clear that this key issue will cost them many future sales.

Trust me it works.

Old 08-11-2006, 07:22 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

I have read that cutting and programming a new key if one is lost runs about $150 ... not sure if that is true or not ... just telling you what I have heard ...
Old 08-11-2006, 07:26 PM
Redfire
3rd Gear Member

All this over a set of keys!? I cant wait to hear your experiences when you have to take it in for a warantee repair!
Old 08-11-2006, 08:46 PM
stl314159

ORIGINAL: Redfire

All this over a set of keys!? I cant wait to hear your experiences when you have to take it in for a warantee repair!
Well I live about 200 miles from the dealership that I bought the car from so it is unlikely that I will ever take my car there for service. My local dealership has been great so far; I took the car in for the rear end TSB and they took care of it no questions asked.

As BW pointed out, with so many choices available to consumers, customer loyalty is something that a company has to go out of their way to re-earn with every opportunity. All it takes is a $150 set of keys to motivate me to drive right past that dealership in favor of any one of the 17 other equivalent choices in a mile radius.

Quick Reply: Dealership Complaint