Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed Brenspeed-Tunable Induction CAI

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 12:08 PM
demarcom
2nd Gear Member

Default Just installed Brenspeed-Tunable Induction CAI

My first impressions. The SCT tuner is way lacking in documentation. All it came with as a photocopied piece of paper. Went to their web site and download a PDF manual that we a lot more informative. Seems there is a huge risk if your battery dies while flashing, which is why they make you pull the fuses for the fan and the fuel pump (I think). You render your computer in a vegitative state with who knows what or how to fix.

From SCT's Manual
"It is a good idea to turn off all accessories such a stereo systems while flashing. You must also pull the fuel
pump and fan fuses to prevent these from drawing vehicle power during a flashing session. This is especially
helpful for vehicles that take a longer time to flash, such as the SVT Focus. If the vehicle’s battery is in
question, you might wish to connect a battery charger during the flashing process."

This pretty much scared me as I dont drive my car often so the battery state was unknown, and I didnt know how long the flash would take. So, I charged the battery to full charge before doing the flash as a precaution.

Installing the CAI, was a joke and took about 20 minutes, nothing hard. I was very impressed with the quality of the parts from Demolet. I had everything painted (including the shield) Redfire to match the car and that looks very sweet and a bargain at $25.

The flash took about 10 minutes (maybe less) and I did the 91 octane to start with and got no errors, or CEL's. I must say the car feels different but I'm not sure if the "throttle lag" people refer to is just tip in (Nissan is famous for this). Seems they increased the tip in, so just touching the gas makes the car want to GO!. This was a little weird at first as it seems to have a mind of it's own accelerating like mad for the first 2000 rpm. Got used to it after about 10 minutes. Didnt have any roads to really open it up, but I can say the car is more agressive, and I recommend it for the ~$600. I really didnt notice any difference in sound or loudness from the CAI and my Saleen already has a nice Magnaflow setup, which is good to me, as I want to hear the exhaust not the intake.

CAI and tuner really are the first thing to do to your car (ok maybe 2nd after a nice exhaust). As for Brenspeed they were great to deal with. They Let me know when the tuner would ship and that the CAI would come from Demolet directly due to custom paint.
Old 08-27-2006, 01:36 PM
mail906
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Just installed Brenspeed-Tunable Induction CAI

Great post, and informative (at least for me).

This may be a dumb question, but can you discuss/explain "tip in" in greater length? I am not really sure what it means other than a guess.

Also, I'd love to see a photo of the custom paint setup.

My vehicle is an 07 and whether you would call it a "lag" or not, it just doesn't feel the same as a mechanical pedal-to-induction setup.
Old 08-27-2006, 03:11 PM
RED121572
4th Gear Member

Yes, good post with useful info.

My impressions of the SCT tuner are similar to yours. I personally think that gadget is a piece of junk. The port cable is WAY more heavy duty that it needs to be. SCT should have put some of that effort when designing the case . The casing is so flimsy, seems like it wants to fall apart.
Are you familar with serial port connection on the bottom? I had to tape my cable on the tuner in order for it to stay connected. And your exactly right, "Where are the instructions to this thing??"

But, set all that aside, the piece of junk gets the job done.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:43 PM
demarcom
2nd Gear Member

no doubt the SCT is cheap looking, and even scarier when it can "fry" your car. Throttle tip in is when the car makers set the throttle up so that when you "touch" it on startup the vehicle seems to have lots of power, but it in fact is just goosing the throttle a bit more without putting much into the gas pedal. I guess it's hard to explain, but the power seems to surge right up front and it doesnt keep going at that rate. My Pathfinder has this real bad (or good!), as do other Nissan Products, and I've noticted it on some Ford trucks. It's really just something you get used to.

As for the custom paint job, I probably wont get a chance to post any pictures but you can see a bunch of them at www.tunableinduction.com. A real good example in Torch Red is right on the home page.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:04 AM
GTlust
I ♥ Acer

Did you not get a cd with the sct? It has the instructions on it, but they ain't much. I too didn't notice much difference in sound and I have the JLT intake. You should find a road to open it up, the big difference was in wide open throttle. Mine pulled much harder with just a 91 tune.