Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dumb Auto Tranny ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 09:18 PM
ponyx2
2nd Gear Member

Default Dumb Auto Tranny ?

OK, how do we replace or add tranny fluid to these cars that for some reason have no dipstick?
Old 08-31-2006, 09:20 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Dumb Auto Tranny ?

you have to have a special tool. They force you to take it to the dealer. Sombody did it themselves but im not sure where the thread went. But it seems liek it would be easier just to goto the dealer
Old 08-31-2006, 09:21 PM
jittie
1st Gear Member

When I bought mine the salesman told me it's almost impossible to do it yourself, and that you have to take it do the dealer to get it done. I know a few people have done it on here, but they all seem to be horror stories where they ended up having their car towed to the dealer...

Just another way to force you to get your car serviced at the dealer...
Old 08-31-2006, 10:34 PM
austijc
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jittie

When I bought mine the salesman told me it's almost impossible to do it yourself, and that you have to take it do the dealer to get it done. I know a few people have done it on here, but they all seem to be horror stories where they ended up having their car towed to the dealer...

Just another way to force you to get your car serviced at the dealer...
Did you have a salesperson that actually knew something about cars? I remember when buying mine, I asked some question about the traction control and he started in on an obviously rehearsed story about, "remember on My Cousin Vinny..." Apparently he had the traction control and the positraction confused.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:45 PM
jittie
1st Gear Member

No the guy popped the hood on a Pony Package V6 sitting in the showroom and was like, "you'll notice that there is no dipstick for the auto tranny, you should never need to check this, we will take care of it during your scheduled maintenance appointments..." then he was like "make sure you don't try this yourself, because a special tool is need...."

I'm not really sure when you are supposed to change your tranny fluid, but I thought it was somewhere around 50k miles or so, thats a long way for me.

Old 09-01-2006, 03:44 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

You need the special Johnson shaft to remove the transmision's hydraulic plug. They are available at any dealership for just a few dollars. Be sure to ask for it the next time your in to have your corsion tubes lubricated!
Old 09-01-2006, 09:23 AM
Stooge
2nd Gear Member

Do a search here. Once you know how to check it and change it, it's straight-forward - just like anything new. I all but guarantee that if you take it to the dealership, he will not know how to do it correctly either.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:33 AM
Stangie
I ♥ Acer

Why do you need to add fluid? You got a leak? Is the fluid vaporizing due to excessive heat from abuse?
Old 09-01-2006, 11:37 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

It's not so much draining it that's the problem, it's filling the damn thing back up! That's why people have had to get towed, they can't get the fluid back in there.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:41 AM
celenztah
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Orion_240
You need the special Johnson shaft...
Errr... ummmm.... OK.... I thought this thread was about transmissions? lol... sorry, couldn't resist. [&:]

Quick Reply: Dumb Auto Tranny ?