Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad bad night

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 03:44 AM
brstrike
1st Gear Member

Default Bad bad night

So I had the worst night at the dragstrip in my life.I have always had automatics, 2 chevys and a lightning.So, switching to a 5 speed car instead of a auto truck was a little harder then I thought it would be.My car has like 650 miles on it and this was my first time takeing it to the track.Anyways, long story short the car ran 17's 16's 15's and the nights best...a blazing 14.90.I know it's my launch,sometimes I spun bad.Then, sometimes it completly bogged out like it stopped and had to get started again.Sometimes it would do both spin bad then bog out.I dont know guys give me some tips.I had traction off,I gave the tires a slight spin.I missed the water box.Also, let a little air out of the tires.I would hold down the clutch and rev to about 2000 or 2500 rpms.I tried taking the clutch out slowly and dumping.

I am in need of serious help! Tell me what you guys know thanks GOD BLESS
Old 09-16-2006, 03:50 AM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Bad bad night

never "dump" the clutch. Feather it. give it about 2500 maybe a little more and feather it. when you start to feel the clutch engage and you start to roll forward a bit, give it a good amount more gas as you let up faster, then when fully engaged, FLOOR it. Don't be a ***** and let it up super slow, but slower than you think. You don't want the wheels to spin like crazy, you just want a little bark then traction.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:51 AM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

im assuming you are a gt because you are complaining about a 14.9...
Old 09-16-2006, 04:59 AM
brstrike
1st Gear Member

yea its a gt
Old 09-16-2006, 05:22 PM
brstrike
1st Gear Member

bump
Old 09-16-2006, 05:54 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

It might not be fully broken in. You said you had traction control off right.. so youre not shifting too early or anything? Thats the only reason it would bog down, that I can think of..... and the reason youre spinning is your tires, you need to do a decent burn of them to get all the road debris and dust off of them first.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:44 PM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

he would bog if he just dumped the clutch. When you just dump it like he is saying he did, you will most likely bog or just spin the tires. you are right about spinning the tires a bit to get debris off, but skip the water, you don't want to spin that much, and that in no way should make your times that slow. Try feathering the clutch more in the launch, and, don't freak out when the bulb lights, make sure you launch the way you want to, remember your reaction time doesnt affect your et. I've seen some people know how to launch on the street, then panic when the bulb lights and bog or spin the tires because the panic too much.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:47 PM
gtmachine
1st Gear Member

Your probably spinning more than you realise and thinking it's the engine revving from slipping the clutch. Also 650 miles on a manual trans car and your used to automatic??? Don't expect to break any records right now LOL!!! You need practice and more miles before beating on it. Is this an 07"???? If you dont order 3.55's on the 07 manuals do you get 3.23's???

Learn the sweet spot to launch at shift points and traction after it's broken in and then you'll be able to squeeze out the best E.T. You should post your 60FT times...They usually reveal a lot. Good luck. Manuals arent as consistant as auto's and automatic with the right converter and rear gears is the best for consistancy. Btu manuals are more fun.
Old 09-16-2006, 06:50 PM
gtmachine
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage

It might not be fully broken in. You said you had traction control off right.. so youre not shifting too early or anything? Thats the only reason it would bog down, that I can think of..... and the reason youre spinning is your tires, you need to do a decent burn of them to get all the road debris and dust off of them first.

I agree I doubt he is shifting at the optimal RPM's probably early shifts somwhere down the track, along with poor launching and traction off the line- I mean come on .....17's?????
Old 09-16-2006, 07:33 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gtmachine

If you dont order 3.55's on the 07 manuals do you get 3.23's???

Learn the sweet spot to launch at shift points and traction after it's broken in and then you'll be able to squeeze out the best E.T. You should post your 60FT times...They usually reveal a lot. Good luck. Manuals arent as consistant as auto's and automatic with the right converter and rear gears is the best for consistancy. Btu manuals are more fun.
Yes, if you dont order the option 3.55s you get the standard 3.31s... which is the same as the 05-07 autos

And yeah your 60' would tell the tale.. Ive heard many, many people say that if you blow your 60' the rest of your run will stink as well.. no matter how much hp you have.

Quick Reply: Bad bad night