Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaker Ques. please help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 08:50 AM
06 tgstn vert

Default Speaker Ques. please help.

Stupid me I failed to by the upgradged stereo system in my 06' GT vert (base stereo only now). After several attempts to upgrade the system I truely would only like to add the (2) 8" speakers that are found in the shaker 500 and 1000 in the lower drivers and passenger door. Is anyone familiar of any easy way to do this? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:16 PM
Gman13
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Speaker Ques. please help.

If you didn't get the factory one, why not just go aftermarket at a custom shop? Probably be the same money. Were you planning on doing it yourself?
Old 09-22-2006, 12:29 PM
hogpowr
3rd Gear Member

The factory 8 inch door speakers are "tuned", they include a chamber matched to the speaker. You will need door skins and probably more. They sound pretty good, but a high end after market system is gonna sound better and cost less. IMO.

Good Luck!
Old 09-22-2006, 01:29 PM
06 tgstn vert

I attempted to to the bass tubes in the trunk w/ no effect due to the solid steel divider behind the back seat due to the vert. top. Any tips on the (4) remaining speakers to make them sound as good as the 500? {(2) dash (2) rear seat on base model)} I guess what I'm looking for is bass because the stock speakers are suprisingly clear and loud enough but bass is lost w/ the vert. top. Thanks in advance all.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:23 PM
cam2904
4th Gear Member

I would recomend a single 10 or 12 in a nice enclosure with the recommned wattage going to it. You can get the Scoshe Box from crutchfield and find a single 12, then all you need would is a amp, wire, line convertor and you should be good.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:44 PM
RICAKILLA
2nd Gear Member

JL audio W7 13" sub will do the trick, Gonna need a 600 watt amp at least tho...
Old 09-22-2006, 10:54 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cam2904

I would recomend a single 10 or 12 in a nice enclosure with the recommned wattage going to it. You can get the Scoshe Box from crutchfield and find a single 12, then all you need would is a amp, wire, line convertor and you should be good.
I'm thinking of possibly doing something like this. I have a 12" (actually 2, but...not enough room) sub, matching amp, and probably a good deal on a box. Never used a line converter before though, as I used to have aftermarket sterep with RCAs. Any suggestions/recommendations on one? Currently have the Skaker 500, and looking for an interim bass boost for the time being (before going with an aftermarket deck).

Thanks, and sorry for the thread mini-hijack....
Old 09-29-2006, 01:51 AM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Anyone? Line converter recommendation?
Old 09-29-2006, 02:20 AM
backinblack06
3rd Gear Member

Here you go, this one should work for ya........AudioLink Line converter That's a 2 channel 30 watt max, there's also and 80 watt 4 channel converter.

If your not really sure what your doing I'd take it to a shop, usually the only charge like $75 if that for amp install/hookup.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:50 AM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06 tgstn vert
Any tips on the (4) remaining speakers to make them sound as good as the 500? {(2) dash (2) rear seat on base model)} I guess what I'm looking for is bass because the stock speakers are suprisingly clear and loud enough but bass is lost w/ the vert. top. Thanks in advance all.
Hmmm, sounds like two questions here: how to make the four speakers better, and how to get more brute bass. First, in the base system, the four speakers are pretty cheap production pieces (the good news on that is that you like the way they sound, so you're only going to go up from there). On the Shaker systems the door speaker (not the sub) is a decent component plate with seperated tweeter and mid-range, but the rear is the same speaker you have in all four locations. So, as far as tips on making your four speakers sound better...replace them. A good set of aftermarket speakers all around will help you out, especially at higher volumes (which I presume you need when the top is down). They won't distort as much and they'll be able to produce tighter bass. You won't have to go crazy getting super-high-end aftermarket units to be an improvement over what you've got right now (just please don't do the whole "Sony thing," get Pioneer, Alpine, or Infinity if you're sticking with the popular stuff, the later two being a better bet). Second tip, a new head unit will do wonders (esp. w/new speakers). The factory head unit is pretty poor at reproducing, parsing, and controlling sound, so you'll get more from whatever speakers you have with a better source.

From there, you can address "extra" bass. But as hogpowr noted, you'll need to scrounge up a set of upgraded door panels to get the factory Shaker subs. Personally, I think you should replace the door speaker first, get an idea of what kind of real estate you have behind your door panels (there should be a lot), and then talk with a shop about doing a custom install. You can put your own 8" subs in there, put better and more powerful ones in there, and do it faster than you would be able to do hunting down the factory Shaker door panels. Cost is likely to be the limiting factor, but it may all balance out anyway.

Hope that helps, and good luck!
Best,
-j

Quick Reply: Speaker Ques. please help.