Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having some difficulty....

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 12:19 AM
GuitarGuyBMG
2nd Gear Member

Default Having some difficulty....

Ok, I just got my 06 GT 5-speed and am about to sell my 05 v6 automatic. This is the first stick shift car i've owned, but I learned to drive stick a few months ago. I learned on various cars, but most was on an old ford truck. The truck had a fairly stiff truck, unlike my mustang, and I could feel where it engaged really well. On my mustang however im having a bit of trouble finding the engagement point and my takeoffs are slower then they should be and i drift back a bit to far on hills. Are there any tricks I can use to help me find my engagement point faster, or is it just somthing that will come naturally in time?
Old 10-02-2006, 12:24 AM
billyjo
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Having some difficulty....

i had a similar problem and i put in a husrt short throw shifter from rpm outlt and that changed everything. I found the sweet spot easier and i was a ton faster. So it maybe your shifer its self. Hoped i have helped
Old 10-02-2006, 12:28 AM
GuitarGuyBMG
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I am thinking about putting in a short throw shifter anywyas, but I dont think thats really a big problem. My dad has tested out the car some and has no problems. Im thinking its just somthing I have to get used to, and lack of experience w/ stick shift because my dad just jumped in and drove it great. He's driven alot of manual cars throughout the years.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:36 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

practice is the only remedy. your left foot/leg needs to
build up a little bit of strength and once it does, you'll
be better able to work the clutch more effectively...hang in there
Old 10-02-2006, 02:14 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

I posted this somewhere before to someone else who asked a similar question.
I had to learn how to shift a manual on my '81 Mustang and was so upset the first day!
I'll recommend that you do what I did. Get a friend who drive sticks and have him ride with you telling you when to let out the clutch and when to give it more gas. Also, on a hill, when you are stopped see if you can use your heel on the brake. Then when you want to go use your toes to step on the accelerator while letting up on the brake. Or try the cheater's method by using the parking brake and releasing it as the clutch engages.
Hope this helps, but the main thing is driving and all the reading won't do nearly as good as you getting out there on a deserted road and trying it out.
You'll be doing burnouts in no time!
Old 10-02-2006, 03:38 AM
Herknav
3rd Gear Member

same way to get to Broadway... practice, practice, PRACTICE! An aftermarket part wont solve your issues, only time with yout foot on the clutch learning will...
Old 10-02-2006, 11:45 AM
Meph
2nd Gear Member

Watch your RPM's. When you see them start to slowly drop down as you let off of the clutch you are at the friction point. Hold your left foot steady and you actually won't roll backwards, and you won't stall either. Then just give it some gas.