Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard Water ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 11:31 AM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Hard Water ???

Ok you have many issue going on the first of which is your water. You need a portable water softener setup. Here is what i use since i also have very hard water. http://www.autogeek.net/clinhofianda.html

Next is like others have already said you need to make sure ands NOT wash mid day in the sun. You either wash early in the morning or late in the evening and that means in the dark if you have to. Next thing i see is you DO NOT want to use a MF Towel to apply polish with, you need to do it by hand or with the PC Random Orbital with the proper foam pad. I would also suggest based on how your paint looks that you use the clay bar you seem to have lots of crude stuck in the surface of the paint. Here is a link that will help you to learn the proper techniques to keeping a car looking it's best especially a black car.

http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html

Richard
Old 10-07-2006, 11:38 AM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

Whatever water you use, you should dry your car off with a chamois and you wont get water marks... and dont wash your car in the sun either...
Old 10-07-2006, 01:38 PM
skilz4u2nv
3rd Gear Member

I heard the Mr. Clean Dry wash or whatever its called is great at combatting this if the water coming out of your hose is hard. It has a filter in it to filter out all the calcium. They state that you can rinse down your car and watch it dry with no water marks!
Old 10-07-2006, 01:56 PM
grabberorange1
3rd Gear Member

straight vinegar will also take the water spots off the paint and windows, however you're going to have to wax again after applying. Like everyone else has said, do not wash in the sun or heat of the day, or if your car is hot to the touch...esp with black. those spots look like they have been baked on...you need a good paint polish/cleaner, I always apply wax/polish in straight strokes or you'll end up with a bunch of swirl marks...black looks bitch'n but a pain in the **** to take care of...good luck.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:48 PM
Larmo
4th Gear Member

Thank you to those that have posted and offered advice.... suffice to say, I will NOT be going back to that water source. From now on I will be washing at a friend's house with his hose where I know the water has been conditioned. So I obviously want to start over and get this gunk off my car. Do you recommend I do a claybar first, wash with dial first, or what???

Old 10-07-2006, 06:55 PM
2006Ride
I ♥ Acer

One of teh main reasons why I avoid black cars like the plague. Every single dust particle shines like a beacon against a black surface. I know black is cool but i dont know how they still sell them. Anyway today I had the same problem. But I took my car for a longer than usual dry ride. When I got back I was fighting to get those spots out. Luckily for me I was able to achieve this task and it came out spotless. Yours looks really bad so Im not sure what the problems. I used regular hose water. I also had to wet my terry towels a little to get most of them out.

Edit>> also In my area you can get a $400 fine for washing your car!!!!![sm=smiley3.gif] I live in So Cal next to the ocean. Someting about the soap and where it drains. Im gonna have to use the backalley next time.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:59 PM
Larmo
4th Gear Member

I don't remember asking about your opinion on black cars. I love my black GT and would buy it again if I had to. To me, black cars are the best looking stangs out there but require a little more TLC. If you can offer me advice on getting these water spots out, I'd appreciate it. Thank you. Yes, I'm bitter.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:05 PM
2006Ride
I ♥ Acer

Yeah I I know they look cool no arguement there. But its like you said it requires extra care. [&:]
Old 10-07-2006, 07:07 PM
Larmo
4th Gear Member

Extra care that I am MORE than willing to give... I just want to use the right process and the right products, ya know??
Old 10-07-2006, 07:09 PM
2006Ride
I ♥ Acer

Well the reason I responded was because I had the same problem today. But my spots came out ok after I had taken it for a dry run. I did have to work extra to get them out but they came out ok. I also used Meguires auto wash. I should go to Walmart and get some Turtle wax though, IMO.

Quick Reply: Hard Water ???