Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mr. Clean Autodry System?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 08:28 PM
Sn00ganS1337
1st Gear Member

Default Mr. Clean Autodry System?

does the Mr. Clean Autodry system really work that well? If so I'm going to run over and get it.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:53 PM
RCT06GT
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Mr. Clean Autodry System?

I don't know anything about it, I'm old fashioned. Just wash and dry it normally. Nice to put a little elbow grease into your car every once in a while.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:04 PM
Riven02
4th Gear Member

I have one and I use it for quick washes. The non spot rinse doesnt work for me at all. It still spots. However it does make soaping up the car alot easier. Then the rinse comes out fairly powerful. I just use it when I just need to knock some dust off, inbetween hand washes.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:11 PM
ilduce321
2nd Gear Member

I have one and it works great. I think my gun works the opposite of Riven02. The initial rinse before soaping is very powerful. The soaping is easy, and you can see the dirt and crap just run off the car. The ionized rinse is very fine. You have to take your time with it. If you do, no spots! If you're in a rush, this isn't the thing to use, you should just go to a gas station for a quick rinse.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:16 PM
07GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sn00ganS1337

does the Mr. Clean Autodry system really work that well? If so I'm going to run over and get it.
I tried it and it didn't work that well on a dark car. I have several friends who swear by it. It's cheap enough, you might want to try it but I can't recommend it by my experience with it.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:21 PM
SlappyGT
2nd Gear Member

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! DO NOT use it! The stuff they use in the soap and to filter the water for the "spot free" rinse will strip the wax off your car faster than a 95 degree day at the beach AND driving behind a salt truck after a bad snow storm. I used it on my last car (it was a "gift"), and when I was done I noticed my car looked clean, but not shiney. So I ran my hand across it, and "Ssssqqqquuuueeeeaaaakkkk!" The only time your car should be "squeaky" clean is if you're about to put a nice, fresh coat of polish and wax on it. Do yourself a favor, buy some good car wash soap (not Dawn, it takes more than grease away, too), and wash it by hand.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:37 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SlappyGT

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! DO NOT use it! The stuff they use in the soap and to filter the water for the "spot free" rinse will strip the wax off your car faster than a 95 degree day at the beach AND driving behind a salt truck after a bad snow storm. I used it on my last car (it was a "gift"), and when I was done I noticed my car looked clean, but not shiney. So I ran my hand across it, and "Ssssqqqquuuueeeeaaaakkkk!" The only time your car should be "squeaky" clean is if you're about to put a nice, fresh coat of polish and wax on it. Do yourself a favor, buy some good car wash soap (not Dawn, it takes more than grease away, too), and wash it by hand.
Dawn should use that as a selling point lol.. "We can strip the wax off your car, and if you let it dry the clearcoat too!" lol
Old 10-07-2006, 11:22 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

I have to disagree with the "elbow grease" when washing (or drying your car). You want to use the least amount of hand pressure and use a microfibre mitt or cloth. almost just letting the suds and water clean the surface as opposed to your hand pressure on the surface. Swirls marks don't come from driving or from the environment; they come from you the person washing and waxing the surface. If you let wax dry completely to a rather firm haze, removal with create swirl marks in the clearcoat; guaranteed. You may not think you are creating them but bring your car into a detail booth that is heavily lit as most are and even on a white car you will easily see this. (You can see it in natural lighting as well; look REAL close.)

Do not use a circular motion for anything; washing, drying or waxing.

oh BTW, no washing at carwashes, even if self service type. Most recycle their water. It contains, oil, salt, fine dirt particles and anything else from the highway.

p.s. not actually a reply to bl1nkage.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:22 PM
Newbreedgt05
3rd Gear Member

I have one and use it every time. I didn't want to pay for the special soap or have to messs with it, so I use my own soap. I use a sponge and a bucket of soap and just use the Mr Clean system to rinse the soap off of the car. The minerals in the water are the things that cause the spots. The filter filters the water and removes the impurities so there are no spots. The rinse is kinda weak though and it takes a while to rinse the soap off the car. I always use towels to dry the car too. I just can't seem to let the water dry by itself on the car. The filters only last about 5 washes depending on usage and they are a little expensive. If you combine your own soap, use the Mr Clean to rinse the car and then dry with towels, you will have a perfect finish. It helps out a lot, especially if you have a black car.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:32 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

You can do whatever with the Mr Clean system but afterwards:

Rinse with nozzel, full power spray rinse.

Remove nozzle and sheet rinse (very little water is left on the car)

Dry with something like Black Magic drying cloth (you don't apply any hand pressure; just light draw it over the surface) I generaly don't use the air compressor on joints/seams; I just lightly tap the soft Black Magic drying cloth in these areas to free up the trapped droplets of water.

Quick Reply: Mr. Clean Autodry System?