Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K & N

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 10:38 AM
bradzpony

Default K & N

Hi -
I own an '06 GT automatic.
I was just browsing the K & N site and found a couple of products:
Aircharger - part63-2565
Air Filter - part33-2298
Both claim to boost horsepower.
So, my question, has anyone used both of these parts? Or just the air filter?
Is spending $300+ worth it? Will there really be a significant difference?

Thanks everyone.
Brad

2006 Mustang GT
Torch Red/Dark Charcoal
Automatic
Old 10-11-2006, 11:14 AM
PullMeOverRed05
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: K & N

I'm just using the air filter. If you are thinking about one of the other items, do your homework. There are a lot of CAIs out there some of which require you to retune the computer, some don't. You'll find lots of information (as well as debates) on CAIs on this forum!

Good luck
Old 10-11-2006, 12:34 PM
bradzpony

Thanks for the feedback.

Have you noticed any difference with just the air filter?

Brad
Old 10-11-2006, 01:23 PM
hogpowr
3rd Gear Member

You will want to get an SCT 2 Excal, and CAI combo......I recommend www.brenspeed.com.

Bad Azzz!
Old 10-11-2006, 01:46 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

I agree with Hogpower.

As for the K&N parts you listed. One of them is just a stock-replacement filter. The other is a complete intake system (CAI). The K&N CAIs are pretty good. However, they are not the best.

The best and most popular CAIs are the JLT and the C&L. These consistently rank the best in the magazine reviews.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:12 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

I have run both on mine. Started with the factory airbox filter - literally noticed no difference (I have run nothing but K & N filters on all my cars for about 12 years), so I was disappointed. I did a lot of research on CAIs, and since many of them require a tune to make them run optimally, I went with the K & N Aircharger system (since it didn't require a tune).

Check out this article: http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...ld_air_intake/

The Aircharger was serious kick in the pants right after the install. Definitely added horsepower, as advertised, and the accelleration improvement is definitely noticable. And, no tune required. Plus, I got mine for about $220, with shipping. Very nice price.

If you want to get another 25 horsepower over stock, versus the 17 or so with the K & N, then go with another brand of CAI and a tune. They cost about twice as much, but if the extra 10 horses over the K & N are worth it, then go for it. Not to take anything away from the other CAIs and tunes out there - they do squeeze more HPs out - if cost is an issue as well, the K & N is a good option.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:22 PM
celenztah
2nd Gear Member

I don't know about a GT, but in my V6 Automatic, with just a K&N drop-in replacement filter, I honestly noticed a throatier sound and zippier acceleration response all around. That being said, it is important to note that this difference was not intense, but noteworthy for the price.

Since then, I've also swapped out my stock muffler for a GT take off and I think the two items together make for an excellent, cost effective mod for standard driving use - not racing. Makes your care sound and feel a bit more sporty and may actually help with fuel economy when driven smoothly. Not sure what a GT owner would do about upgrading mufflers without going for more expensive aftermarket items.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:00 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Personally I would avoid the "tuneless" CAIs.

Tuneless CAIs come in two types:

1, the kind that don't flow much more air than stock. Since they don't do much of anything, they don't require a tune. Avoid these and buy something that works!

2, the kind that come with a specially calibrated MAS (mass air sensor). These flow more air than stock, and "trick" the ECU with their non-standard sensor. These are OK if you aren't doing additional mods to your car. The problem with them is that if your are doing other mods down the road that require a real tuner, it will be very hard to get your car properly set up. Aftermarket tune shops will have a difficult time making you a tune file for such a non-standard MAS.

Bite the bullet and buy a real CAI like the C&L or the JLT. Get it in a combo deal with either an SCT-II or a Diablosport Predator tuner from one of the big-name tuning shops like Brenspeed, Evolution, or Bamachips. This combo will kick the pants off of any "tuneless" CAI out there, AND it is completely upgradeable for any future mods you might consider.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:53 PM
kenthicken
4th Gear Member

To quote: "Speed is expensive... how fast do you want to go?"

If you're on a budget, then something like a "tuneless" K & N might be the ticket. You get some modest HP gains, although not as much as the more expensive CAI and tune packages. If you want to shell out $600 or $700 for the CAI and the tune, and the extra 25 HP over stock is worth it to you for the money, by all means. But, realize, to see those gains, you will have to run a 93 octane tune, with 93 octane fuel, so your fuel costs go up. It's just what you're willing to compromise on - cash or HP.

I strongly recommend doing your research before you buy -- CrazyAl is right: there are some CAIs (with and without tunes) that don't do much of anything (read the article). The reason I went with K & N was because of the dyno results in the article, which closely matched the K & N dyno sheets, and it fit my needs.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:23 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kenthicken

To quote: "Speed is expensive... how fast do you want to go?"

If you're on a budget, then something like a "tuneless" K & N might be the ticket. You get some modest HP gains, although not as much as the more expensive CAI and tune packages. If you want to shell out $600 or $700 for the CAI and the tune, and the extra 25 HP over stock is worth it to you for the money, by all means. But, realize, to see those gains, you will have to run a 93 octane tune, with 93 octane fuel, so your fuel costs go up. It's just what you're willing to compromise on - cash or HP.

I strongly recommend doing your research before you buy -- CrazyAl is right: there are some CAIs (with and without tunes) that don't do much of anything (read the article). The reason I went with K & N was because of the dyno results in the article, which closely matched the K & N dyno sheets, and it fit my needs.

Ken is right--by all means do your research and choose whichever suits your needs the best.

The reason why I was recommending the tuner--especially a combo from an established shop such as those I mentioned--is because in my opinion, that is a key "performance mod" that is the best foundation for future work.

I am active in hot-rodding. I have a lot of hot-rod buddies and I see many people at local speed shops and at the drag strip that are constantly fiddling with their cars. I see this happen all the time: customer bought a new 'stang (or whatever) and wants to mod it. He doesn't know what mods he wants to do, he just wants to mod it. CAIs are a popular mod for nearly all cars, and there's TONS of companies just waiting to take your hard-earned $$$ in exchange for one. All his buddies have CAIs. All the guys on the forum have CAIs. Why shouldn't he? Customer starts looking around, and sees these "tuneless" CAIs. Sounds great, he thinks and whips out the credit card. A few months later when the "mod bug" is biting again, now he wants to do Gears, or CMCP delete or headers or throttle body...or whatever. Uh-oh. Now he's in trouble becasue those mods (like many) require a proper tuner. And the tuning tech tells him that it's going to be a pain to accomodate his tuneless CAI. Now he has to ditch his existing CAI and has to buy a new one just so he can get a real tuner to properly handle his other mods--OR he has to live with a mediocre tune that just isn't getting all the power out of his parts.

If you want to do things on a low budget, that's fine. Instead of buying a tuneless CAI, buy a tuner. Just the tuner. If you buy a tuner from a reputable tune shop, you'll be making comporable (if not better) gains than you would buying a tuneless CAI. If you have an Auto trans car, it will be MUCH better becasue the tuner also firms up your shifting in addition to giving you the HP boost. This is true even if you stick with 87 octane (though you can get more power with 92). The tuner will come with 3 different tune files--you can pick which one you want to use. Changing the file takes about 2 minutes. You'll have the option of running the extra-high-performance 92 octane tune if you want. What's more, you'll have the tuner there for your future mods. Even if you aren't planning on future mods, the tuner is a very handy accessory to have around. You can use it to read and clear ECU codes. You can fiddle with various settings on your car. You can change your speedo settings if you get different size tires....and so on...