Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any luck eliminating drone

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 10:36 PM
Stroken97
1st Gear Member

Default Any luck eliminating drone

I see a lot of speculation on how to get rid of drone, but has anyone had any luck? Especially, luck with reasnable fixes. Are resonators the only way to go and do they work? Can sound deadening work? I love my MAC's but I have to do something with the drone! Thanks
Old 10-12-2006, 10:37 PM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

Default RE: Any luck eliminating drone

Drone from exhaust is an easy fix. Just get some straight pipes or some Corsa axle-back and presto.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:51 PM
aircare84
3rd Gear Member

Have read people are having luck using Dynomat for sound deadening,but havn't tried it myself.I looked @ their info, but I'm a little reluctant to spend another $150.00 for an exhaust tone. Personally I installed the FRPP GTA axle-back mufflers & am happy with that, step up from stock,NO drone.But they do NOT have the very loud tone alot of people prefer. I also have a set of IMCO Extreme mufflers & really liked the sound of them, but not as much as I disliked the drone.
aircare
Old 10-12-2006, 10:52 PM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

ORIGINAL: aircare84

Have read people are having luck using Dynomat for sound deadening,but havn't tried it myself.I looked @ their info, but I'm a little reluctant to spend another $150.00 for an exhaust tone. Personally I installed the FRPP GTA axle-back mufflers & am happy with that, step up from stock,NO drone.But they do NOT have the very loud tone alot of people prefer. I also have a set of IMCO Extreme mufflers & really liked the sound of them, but not as much as I disliked the drone.
aircare
I thought dynamats were just for lining your trunk ect. for like subs and stuff.[:-]
Old 10-12-2006, 11:25 PM
aircare84
3rd Gear Member

Supposed to be able to be used to reduce road noise, exhaust noise,etc. also. Only going by what I've read, but people are claiming the drone has been reduced using this stuff as well. Dynomat offers a few different types of products, I haven't done alot of research into all of it as yet.
Try doing a search on the different Mustang forums for Dynomat & you'll find what I've mentioned.
aircare
Old 10-12-2006, 11:44 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Dynamat doesn't work very well for drone.

Resonators work very well, as does switching to a differen brand of exhaust. Some drone, some don't.

BTW, this is not speculation on my part at all. My car is fully sound deadened (whole interior stripped out...carpet..seats...all the plastic..etc. No real effect on the drone. Added resonators...gonzo.

Recent thread about resonators:

https://mustangforums.com/m_2066298/tm.htm

Very good thread about drone, sound deadening, resonators, and other drone-fighting:

https://mustangforums.com/m_1534962/tm.htm
Old 10-12-2006, 11:58 PM
billyjo
2nd Gear Member

hello, this may seem radical but i put on slp cat back system and damn the drone was loud. I released the sound was coming from the cats so i wrapped them with muffler tape that keeps the heat in, then i put i temp insulation around that and it reduced the drone by 80 percent. I thought i would work but it did, if you want ill tell you the stuff i used i just dont know right now what it is called. Hope this helps
Old 10-13-2006, 01:36 AM
discofan
2nd Gear Member

Had a set of MAC's myself...

Loved the sound but the drone killed me...

Did the Dynomat trick = NO LUCK!!!

Changed axlebacks to Zoomers = NO NOTICEABLE DRONE!!!!!!!!!!

Great Sound... Great choice but not cheap...

Good Luck, Dave

Old 10-13-2006, 02:52 AM
RedFire281
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stroken97

I see a lot of speculation on how to get rid of drone, but has anyone had any luck? Especially, luck with reasnable fixes. Are resonators the only way to go and do they work? Can sound deadening work? I love my MAC's but I have to do something with the drone! Thanks
This may seem a bit off the wall but you might want to post this question to our brothers in the V6 section. They have some serious modders there with experience upgrading from single to dual exhausts and some of the problems that come with it. As a matter of fact some of the old-timers there have done just about every mechanical mod that is possible with a Stang.

Here's what I know - all pipes resonate (or drone) at a certain frequency. In our cars, that frequency occurs at about 1800 to 2200 RPM (wouldn't you know it - just within the cruising RPM where we spend the most time). Resonators work by moving the resonance frequency to a higher RPM range. So while resonators do not eliminate drone, they move the frequency at which drone occurs to an RPM range at which you do not spend a great deal of time (depending on the design - about 2800 to 3000 RPM). A second, more expensive alternative is to shorten the exhaust pipes by installing a side exhaust. I personally like the look but settled for Corsas. I have not experienced any drone at all. In short, if you like the sound of any particular muffler (your MACs for instance) and drone is a problem, consider resonators - they're inexpensive and, for the price, they work.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:32 PM
Stroken97
1st Gear Member

Looks resonators are the only way to go. I like the Mac's and want to keep them but a recent trip with a lot of 1500- 2000 rpms killed me. Thanks to everyone

Quick Reply: Any luck eliminating drone