MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Superchargers! Why not turbos? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/199791-superchargers-why-not-turbos.html)

Ford_Dude 10-31-2006 01:18 PM

RE: Superchargers! Why not turbos?

twin or single
under hood or relocated
after or before cats

GGIII 10-31-2006 01:19 PM

Single, underhood. Before (but there won't be any.)

Powerhouses kit.

Ford_Dude 10-31-2006 01:21 PM

air/water intercooler or air/air intercooler

GGIII 10-31-2006 01:40 PM

Whatever comes with the kit. XD

Course, sadly, it's a ways off for now.

undefeated 10-31-2006 03:30 PM

ORIGINAL: moosestang

ORIGINAL: undefeated

I'm thinking about this turbo set up.
Did you call for a price? How much?
No, I sure didn't. More than likely if they are hiding the price, it's probably pretty steep.

vsop 10-31-2006 04:23 PM

I thought about going turbo, but 2 things are what really will keep me from doing it. First I plan on seeing what I can do N/A for a while with bolt ons and then going to add power adder and then built bottom end. So after spending over a grand on LT Headers for running N/A all of a sudden they are of no use. And with most turbo kits they use the crappy stock manifolds so you would then have to spend $500 ontop of the turbo kit to get ceramic coated shortys for your car.

Or if lets say I went with a TT setup for the 4.6L 3 valve, then decided to put in a built 5.4l 4v, the turbo kit would need all new piping if it was even able to still be made to fit with the new block. At least with a KB 2.6l you would be able to re-use the blower with just changing out the lower for one that fits the 5.4l.

I have been pricing LT header systems this past week, and been thinking to myslef the whole time. If I spend 1K on headers, that is 1K that could have gone to getting a Turbo kit to bolt on..;) But I promised myself I would hold off for at least 8-12months before I voided my entire warranty...

bl1nk 10-31-2006 05:09 PM

I also am leaning toward turbo but its a ways off as well.. but I REALLY want longtubes... I just like longtubes better, from what Ive heard they sound better as well (Ive only heard 1 of each so whatever). Anyone know why there is such a conflict with longtubes and turbos? I know Ive heard people talk about swapping them out for shorties but why.. is it for the space? If its for a space, if you got a kit that doesnt mount underhood, wouldnt that elimate most of the problem?

moosestang 10-31-2006 06:46 PM

Well Bullydog emailed me back about their mid-mount twin turbo setup. They said it's still a year out and pricing has not been established. The one shown on HP TV was 4lbs of boost and no intercooler which make 80hp at the wheels. Wouldn't it be nice to bolt on 80rwhp in 2 hours (according to them) for let's say $2800. I would think these remote mount systems would be cheaper since they would require less R&D, they are basically some tubing and turbos mounted behind the cats.

I'm sure it will be more than that though, as long as enough people are willing to pay $4-$6k for 150 or so rear wheel horse power they will keep charging that much.[:@]

Sherwood06GT 10-31-2006 06:49 PM

For 7k I got approx. 180 rwhp gain. 220 crank HP gain.

androdz 11-01-2006 04:54 AM

ORIGINAL: bl1nkage

I also am leaning toward turbo but its a ways off as well.. but I REALLY want longtubes... I just like longtubes better, from what Ive heard they sound better as well (Ive only heard 1 of each so whatever). Anyone know why there is such a conflict with longtubes and turbos? I know Ive heard people talk about swapping them out for shorties but why.. is it for the space? If its for a space, if you got a kit that doesnt mount underhood, wouldnt that elimate most of the problem?
No its is not about space it is about that the turbo uses the exhaust gases for spooling up. Also make sure the intercooler is Air to Air and horizontal not vertical. Vertical intercoolers create unnecesary air drag because the way the air has to travel. Also water to air intercoolers are a POS in my opinion. They are just slightly better from a standing start but as soon as you are like @ 30mph the air to air has a bigger advantage because it cools much faster.