Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need center console lock

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 12:13 AM
ncponygirl
2nd Gear Member

Default Need center console lock

Anybody ever seen an aftermarket lock for the center console ('06)? Doesn't have to be real secure... just enough to keep the ipod from being stolen out of the convertible while I run into the store.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:16 AM
Herknav
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Need center console lock

ORIGINAL: ncponygirl

Anybody ever seen an aftermarket lock for the center console ('06)? Doesn't have to be real secure... just enough to keep the ipod from being stolen out of the convertible while I run into the store.
Why don't you put it in the glove compartment and lock that?
Old 11-07-2006, 12:18 AM
ncponygirl
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Herknav

The ipod hooks up to my stereo via a cable in the center console, so it's in there already. (but good question!)
Old 11-07-2006, 12:24 AM
Herknav
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Herknav

The ipod hooks up to my stereo via a cable in the center console, so it's in there already. (but good question!)
Is it to a stereo that is compatible, so that you control the Ipod with the radio, (like the AVIC-Z1 does)? Or are you just working through an AUX input? I can see where it would be hard to select a song when you have to get into the glove compartment to do so.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:41 AM
ncponygirl
2nd Gear Member

Actually, I never thought about putting it in the glove box, and I honestly can't remember ever seeing a lock on the glove box, anyway Is it really there?

Sounds like we have more in common than just a couple of silver beauties.... I also have the Avic Z-1.

[IMG]local://upfiles/44448/57CF55D25269423097BE4275949BF2A0.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-07-2006, 12:45 AM
Herknav
3rd Gear Member

Actually, I never thought about putting it in the glove box, and I honestly can't remember ever seeing a lock on the glove box, anyway Is it really there?

Sounds like we have more in common than just a couple of silver beauties.... I also have the Avic Z-1.

[IMG]local://upfiles/44448/57CF55D25269423097BE4275949BF2A0.jpg[/IMG]
Heh... you have a Saleen... I have a Saleen blower.

It would be pretty easy to re-route that cable to the glove compartment. And yes, there is a lock there, (before I said anything, I went to the garage and checked!).
Old 11-07-2006, 01:07 AM
ncponygirl
2nd Gear Member

My '88 'vert had a locked console. Very handy on a convertible -- I used to keep cd's in there. Back in the day, having a cd player in a car was quite a rarity. (I miss that car!) Well, not so much now that I have "Stevie."
Not that I need that many cd's anymore, thanks to ipod and the Avic's library feature.

The lock was built into the latch on that car. Was thinking maybe the latch could be replaced with an old latch from an old 'stang, but then I'd have to have another key, etc. And the likelihood of that fitting is practically zero.

Maybe an electronic latch? Am I dreaming too big here?
Old 11-07-2006, 01:18 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Is the iPod so big that you can't just put it in your pocket? Or your purse? Or your boyfriend's man bag? JK![sm=dontgetit.gif]
Old 11-07-2006, 01:25 AM
mattblasi
3rd Gear Member

I just leave mine in the center console ( I too have the Avic Z1 w/ the ipod adapter ) so I ran the cable into the center console through that nice plastic panel thingy. I have not seen a lock for it, and I really do not see how one would hook up. I guess you could always just lock it up when you are getting out of the car, I mean what is 5 sec to disconnect and put in glove box anyway.

Sorry I really can't offer more help.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:26 AM
Herknav
3rd Gear Member

My '88 'vert had a locked console. Very handy on a convertible -- I used to keep cd's in there. Back in the day, having a cd player in a car was quite a rarity. (I miss that car!) Well, not so much now that I have "Stevie."
Not that I need that many cd's anymore, thanks to ipod and the Avic's library feature.

The lock was built into the latch on that car. Was thinking maybe the latch could be replaced with an old latch from an old 'stang, but then I'd have to have another key, etc. And the likelihood of that fitting is practically zero.

Maybe an electronic latch? Am I dreaming too big here?
You don't look old enough for any "back in the day" comments...

I found myself on long trips listening to my XM, but replacing CDs at a normal rate, to get them all loaded up on the AVICs hard drive.

Honestly, if someone starts getting all up in your vert looking for something to steal, I don't know that the cheap lock on the glove compartment, (does anyone still keep gloves in there?) will hold up to much. Plastic is just plastic afterall... so why not just leave it in the center console after all? Who will look in there?

Stevie? I'm not even gonna ask...

Quick Reply: Need center console lock