Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Needing assistance with moleskin

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 03:02 PM
JLoweV6

Default Needing assistance with moleskin

So I purchased the moleskin kit last week and now I want to install it. Step 1 says to "remove the panel behind the door latch." It then proceeds to the next step with no explanation/advice on how to achieve this minor yet daunting task. I'm obviously not as gifted as others when it comes to these diy tasks. Or I'm just to easy on the parts afraid I might snap them in two pieces. Either way I seem to be stuck on this simple step with no end in sight. Any info would be much appreciated.

PS. The instructions also list the use of needle nose pliers but no where in the details does it describe using them. Also I figured ordering the "mustang" kit would be made to the exact specs of my car (thinking that all 05-06 coupe mustangs are alike). Only to find out I should measure and cut the length and width of the strips to prevent excess from being caught on the window and creating the glue smear affect or from dirt being trapped in the crevices. My incessant whining makes up for the lack of skills I have mechanically.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:40 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Needing assistance with moleskin

ORIGINAL: BlkonBlk

I installed the Mole Skin today and took a few pics to compliment some of the instructions given by other members. Here you go:

To loosen the door panel remove the screw on the door handle.

Then loosen the screw on the side of the panel.

Next remove the corner panel, this just pops right out.

Now you can pull the top of the panel towards you to access the plastic window track. Then just pull it off like so

Once you have the track off, apply the moleskin or felt.

Here is the moleskin attached to the plastic track.

As per the moleskin directions I used some steel wool to coarsen the plastic track. I then used some rubbing alcohol to clean the surface and simply applied the moleskin. It was all fairly simple except for getting the door panel back on. It took some muscle to get the edge of the panel back in place but other than that it was a straight forward install.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:24 PM
JLoweV6

Yeah, I already used the search feature and found that. It's the same photos included in the instructions. Thanks though.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:52 PM
jlm07GT

I used a flathead screwdriver on the top left corner of the plastic panel to remove it. I just applied steady pressure and it popped right out without any problems.

Also I didn't have to use needlenose pliers for the install.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:25 PM
Rockman95

Okay jlm07GT, I'm a little confused about your directions. You say pop out the panel using screwdriver in top left corner. Which door, the driver's side or the passenger side? And, if I use the screwdriver in top left corner of one door handle, should I use the screwdriver in top right corner of the other door handle since the doors are reversed as you're looking at them? When I tried using the screwdriver on my 07 GT it seems to put a lot of pressure on the plastic piece. It seems like it's going to break. That's why I wanna make sure I'm applying pressure to the correct area. Also, do the corner panels pop off pretty easily? Where do I apply pressure to lift off panel (give me directions for the driver's door)?

I had my car tinted a few days ago, but the installer would not install the moleskin (I brought moleskin with me). He didn't want to assume liability for taking the door covers off. Now, I don't want to roll down my windows until I've installed the maleskin myself.

Cheers!
Old 11-14-2006, 01:43 PM
BlackPhantomGT
1st Gear Member

You need two screwdrivers, a regular flat type and a real small flat head computer screwdriver. (The small conputer screwdriver just makes it easier to get between the edges and not mar the edge of the plastic.) There's a tab at the top center that holds the plastic cover in place. Carefully pry down the top edge with the computer screwdriver enough to insert the regular screwdriver. This should give you enough leverage to pull it out. go slow or you'll slip and gouge the plastic surface. good luck.

I also found it easier to remove all the screws that hold the door panel in place to get the moulding strip out and back in.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:30 PM
jlm07GT

ORIGINAL: Rockman95

Okay jlm07GT, I'm a little confused about your directions. You say pop out the panel using screwdriver in top left corner. Which door, the driver's side or the passenger side? And, if I use the screwdriver in top left corner of one door handle, should I use the screwdriver in top right corner of the other door handle since the doors are reversed as you're looking at them? When I tried using the screwdriver on my 07 GT it seems to put a lot of pressure on the plastic piece. It seems like it's going to break. That's why I wanna make sure I'm applying pressure to the correct area. Also, do the corner panels pop off pretty easily? Where do I apply pressure to lift off panel (give me directions for the driver's door)?

I had my car tinted a few days ago, but the installer would not install the moleskin (I brought moleskin with me). He didn't want to assume liability for taking the door covers off. Now, I don't want to roll down my windows until I've installed the maleskin myself.

Cheers!
I should have been more clear about what I said earlier. I applied the pressure on the top left corner of the driver side, and the top right corner on the passenger side. I pulled the door handle towards me and slipped in a skinny flathead screwdriver. At first it does seem like the little plastic panel is going to break, but if you apply steady pressure it should pop right out.

As far as the corner panels, they do pop off very easily. Just slip in the same flathead screwdriver to make a little seperation between the panel and the rest of the door and then pull it off the rest of the way with your hands. (I made the seperation on the top left corner on the driver side and the top right corner on the passenger side.) Just make sure that you pull the corner panel straight out towards you or you can bend the little plastic pins that hold it in place.

Note: To pull the top of the door panel off, so you can get to the track, I found it a lot easier to remove the first 3 screws. The instructions say that you only need to remove the top screw. With all three screws removed, I found it to be a lot easier to both pull the door panel off and to put it back in place.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:41 PM
jerseystang07
4th Gear Member

Can someone explain to me what the use for moleskin is? Thanks.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:04 PM
jlm07GT

ORIGINAL: jerseystang07

Can someone explain to me what the use for moleskin is? Thanks.
Many people have had problems on their 05-07 Mustang's involving window/tint scratching. Moleskin acts as a barrier between the rubber wiper inside the door panel and the window itself protecting it from these scratches. It is like a soft piece of cloth.

I put it on my 07 Mustang because I tinted my windows about a week ago. While waiting the recommended 5 days before rolling down the windows I noticed one small scratch on the driver side tint. It wasn't there when they were installed. Since the windows go up and down slightly when you open/close the door that was the cause of the scratch. I put on the moleskin to prevent it from scratching any further.

Here is their website:
http://www.automoleskin.com/ford.htm
Old 11-14-2006, 11:08 PM
alumacomp
2nd Gear Member

I am no mechanic and found the job straight forward using the instructions provided.

I removed the panel behind the door latch using the curved flat head screw driver one gets with paint for opening the can lid. There is just the slightest indentation at the front of the panel which is were I inserted the end of the screwdriver....then I just pulled toward me and it popped out easily. No breakage & no scratches. I imagine any small flat head would do the job.

Quick Reply: Needing assistance with moleskin