Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Springs install

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 01:19 AM
mnwhite
1st Gear Member

Default Springs install

Could someone please walk me through the installation of springs on a '06 GT. Or even better if any of you live in Arizona and would like to help it would be a big help.
Thanks
Matt
Old 11-21-2006, 11:39 AM
mnwhite
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Springs install

bump
Old 11-21-2006, 04:52 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Springs install

Front and rear? I don't live in Arizona or I'd be happy to help. I try and recall all the steps.

For the rear it's easy. jack up the car and support by jackstands under the frame (just in front of the rear tires under your rocker panels. Jack up the rear end under the pumpkin and remove the upper shock nuts through the trunk (you'll need to move your carpet to find them, you may need to hold the top of the shock stud with a pair of vise grips or wrench. Lower the rear end down slowly and then pull out the old springs and replace with new.

The front is a little more involved and this is the way i did it. Probably not the proper way either mind you.

(first loosen the lug nuts on both front wheels) I jacked up both sides of the front and support the car with jack stands(same spot as the rear only behind the front tire. (remove the front tires at this point) I then placed a floor jack under the lower control arm and jack it up. Remove the swaybar link from the strut, remove the brake line bracket from the strut, loosen both lower strut bolts, but do not remove! Remove the big nut from the strut stud from inside the engine compartment. i then lowered the control arm down all the way slowly, that was not quite enough to get the stock spring out so i pulled the upper most bolt of the two lower strut bolts and slowly rotated the top of the spindle outward, this was enough to completely release the spring pressure and I then removed the lower bolt and pulled the whole strut/spring out. You'll need to support the spindle with some wire or have someone support it, me I made my wife hold it while I swapped the springs. I replaced the upper strut/spindle bolt with an eibach adjustable one on both sides and reassembled everything in reverse. They say to use a new nut on the top of the strut, but I didn't.

A spring compressor to remove the stock springs in the front would help and you could still do it the same way only you won't have to worry about tilting the top of the spindle outward.