Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strut Bar, Do I need it???

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 05:16 PM
Quick S
2nd Gear Member

Default Strut Bar, Do I need it???

I did a search, but can't really find anything completely conclusive to why, or why not to a have a strut bar?? I know a Strut bar will help in cornering, but what about going straight down the track?? [8D]
Really clueless on the whole suspention stuff, LOL
Thanks guys for the help
Old 11-21-2006, 05:22 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Strut Bar, Do I need it???

I dont see why you would need one for drag use, you want to remove weight, hell most people are even putting the swaybar eliminator on for major wight savings, that and get rid of the dam 49 pound CV shaft.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:32 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

I have the Ford Racing strut tower brace. I'm sure it makes a little difference compared to stock, if not...it still looks cool.
Old 11-21-2006, 05:34 PM
06hoss
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Quick S

I did a search, but can't really find anything completely conclusive to why, or why not to a have a strut bar?? I know a Strut bar will help in cornering, but what about going straight down the track?? [8D]
Really clueless on the whole suspention stuff, LOL
Thanks guys for the help
You definitely don't need a front one to help keep you straight, but it will help in the corners. Our 05+ stangs are 30% stiffer than the previous ones, but you are still tying those shock towers together which helps keep the suspension geometry correct. Rear shock tower braces are supposed to help you get a straighter launch at the track a little since it ties the shocks towers together when launching. They help plant the rear better for cornering more than anything though.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:19 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

For drag racing, the strut tower bar is just excess weight in a bad place.

For cornering, they are a waste as well IMHO. The new stang is 300% (not 30) stiffer than the previous generation. Several people have tried to measure strut-tower deflection, and it just doesn't happen on these cars. Strut tower bars a popular aftermarket part becasue there were popularized by ricers on Hondas and they look cool. Consequently tons of vendors, including Ford, sell them. They're cashing in on a popular style trend. But they are NOT a functional suspension mod.

Save your $$ for LCAs or a thicker rear sway bar, don't buy the strut tower bar unless you want it for looks.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:44 PM
Quick S
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys

Yeah, as much as I like show, I like go a little better [8D]. For the money going with the Steeda Underdrive Pullies instead of a strut bar [sm=smiley20.gif].
Old 11-22-2006, 06:12 PM
06hoss
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

For drag racing, the strut tower bar is just excess weight in a bad place.

For cornering, they are a waste as well IMHO. The new stang is 300% (not 30) stiffer than the previous generation. Several people have tried to measure strut-tower deflection, and it just doesn't happen on these cars. Strut tower bars a popular aftermarket part becasue there were popularized by ricers on Hondas and they look cool. Consequently tons of vendors, including Ford, sell them. They're cashing in on a popular style trend. But they are NOT a functional suspension mod.

Save your $$ for LCAs or a thicker rear sway bar, don't buy the strut tower bar unless you want it for looks.
Al where in the heck did you read that the 05+ was 300% stiffer than the older ones? I have read in many places the same number over and over and it was always 30% .
Old 11-22-2006, 06:26 PM
06hoss
2nd Gear Member

Here's just a few articles and they all state that the current stang is 30% stiffer than the previous one...300% would be three times stiffer which would mean the 04s were about as stiff as a Model T!

http://www.thebiglot.com/reviews/200...ANG_REVIEW.asp
http://www.thisdarncar.com/vb/126-post1.html
http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=18057
Old 11-24-2006, 09:39 AM
skinjob
1st Gear Member

The torsional stiffness is around 15,500 lb-ft which is up around %30 from the SN-95. The bending strength is up 50% which I assume helps during launch and braking. I never thought the strut bar did much in these bodies either. I do think they look cool as hell.. I would like to get one and put a skull in the middle of it or something

-J

ORIGINAL: 06hoss

Here's just a few articles and they all state that the current stang is 30% stiffer than the previous one...300% would be three times stiffer which would mean the 04s were about as stiff as a Model T!

http://www.thebiglot.com/reviews/200...ANG_REVIEW.asp
http://www.thisdarncar.com/vb/126-post1.html
http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=18057
Old 11-24-2006, 12:53 PM
06hoss
2nd Gear Member

Ha, ha, yeah, I like the skull idea. If you are into the skull look, I saw some place where you can get a skull shifter ****. I also saw where you can get little skulls for the license plate screws. Somebody even had the skull screw covers that you could wire the red eyes into your tail lights so the eyes would light up.

Quick Reply: Strut Bar, Do I need it???