Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ventilated tire question

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 03:04 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Default Ventilated tire question

Upon backing out of my parking space at the apartment complex that I'm temporarily living in I noticed a pronounced "thump...thump....thump" noise. It sounded like something lodged in my tire. I stopped and got out to find....much to my horror.....I nice big paneling screw jammed to the head in my 2 week old BFG KDW2 tire up front on the passenger side.

I'm almost convinced, since this is the second time in the last month and a half that something metal mysteriously got lodged in my front tires while at the apartment, that this may be the work of a sick vandal in the complex. There are a couple of performance car wannabes that live in the complex and hang out together (none of which seem to have any love of mustangs), so I'm not sure if I may have inadvertedly intimidated one of them with my black 05 GT and shiny new black DD bullitt rims. But regardless......how or why this has happened to me twice is irrelevant.

The screw I pulled out of the tire is was stuck about 1/2 inch into one of the inner most treads of the tire....and of course, now I have a slow leak. What I'm curious about is whether anyone in here has ever had one of these tires repaired, patched, or plugged before. A neighbor of mine told me that some shops don't like to repair tires like these KDW2's. I'm just wondering whether any of the tire gurus on this forum believe I have a fixable problem..........or should I start thinking about hitting Tire Rack for a replacement?
Old 11-26-2006, 04:00 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Ventilated tire question

That sux man... My Nittos were 4 days old and one of the decided to go punk rock with a sheetmetal screw piercing. Took it up to Discount and they almost didn't fix it. Reason was two fold. One, because of the softness of the tire, and two, because of the angle that the screw went in. But luckily it went between the cords and not through one. They plugged it and also patched the inside. I was told that I was lucky that for the most part they don't patch DRs, just replace them.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:15 AM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

Take them to where you purchased them from.. This is what road hazard is for.. If they can't patch it they will give you credit prorated, and if they are 2 weeks old you should be able to replace it on the super cheap
Old 11-26-2006, 04:15 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hawgman

That sux man... My Nittos were 4 days old and one of the decided to go punk rock with a sheetmetal screw piercing. Took it up to Discount and they almost didn't fix it. Reason was two fold. One, because of the softness of the tire, and two, because of the angle that the screw went in. But luckily it went between the cords and not through one. They plugged it and also patched the inside. I was told that I was lucky that for the most part they don't patch DRs, just replace them.
You are not the only one, I had the same situation. I just got my deep dish bullitts on two weeks ago as well and woke up in the morning one day to a flat tire in the garage. I look all around and nothing is lodged in anywhere, until I pull out and about two inches from the sidewall a gigantic nail stuck in at a sideward angle. I was so pissed off considering I just paid almost a grand just for these brand new tires.

Anyways I went over to Discount Tire and they patched it for free.

-Jeff
Old 11-26-2006, 04:16 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Well the screw that went into my BFG went straight in.......pretty much no angle at all. I know its a softer compound tire, that's why I'm worried about not being able to find someone to fix it. I'm also worried about how reliable any possible fix will turn out to be over the longhaul. I don't need a tire failure from a temp/repair when the car is doing some high speeds or hard cornering. I had hoped since it went into the thicker part of the tread that I might be alright.....but apparently not. I'd hate to cough up another 170 bux to replace a tire that has less than 150 miles on it.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:20 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vsop

Take them to where you purchased them from.. This is what road hazard is for.. If they can't patch it they will give you credit prorated, and if they are 2 weeks old you should be able to replace it on the super cheap
I purchased my KDW2's from TireRack over the net. I couldn't get Road Hazard on them since I went with a staggered size setup front to back. I'm gonna have to part with some dough one way or another. Oh well...........such is life. I'm just gonna have to check behind all my tires before I back up to leave the apartment from now on.[:'(]
Old 11-26-2006, 09:19 AM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

I have plugged every tind of tire imaginable with the gooey plug/rubber cement kits available from any auto parts store. I have NEVER had a plug failure or a tire failure related to the plug.

Among the many tires I have plugged, in addition to many SUV and "regular" passenger car tire, are Goodyear Gatorbacks, Michelin XGT-4's, and most recently a Goodyear F1 supercar EMT (z-rated).

You've got nothing to lose by giving it a try.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:14 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: vsop

Most places ( if not all ) will not offer a road hazard warranty on a drag radial type tire.