Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving Techniques (heel-toe)

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 04:24 PM
|UCF|chron
2nd Gear Member

Default Driving Techniques (heel-toe)

i found this, thought it was kinda cool, they even have a GT as the test subject. and the Gt has a baller-*** interior and that shift **** is hawt
http://www.blancomedia.com/shell/heel_toe.html
Old 12-05-2006, 06:28 PM
Kaldar142
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Driving Techniques (heel-toe)

yup, awesome technique, very useful in most road race or even daily driving situations (i use it almost all the time in daily driving, its just a habit now).

although it is most useful when im doing some touge in my s13
Old 12-06-2006, 03:17 AM
I8ACHEVY
2nd Gear Member

yup, cool technique indeed!
I can't quite get my foot over to the gas while braking at the same time, but what I do is actuall brake before the turn, and then roll thru the turn completely off the brake, but as I exit the turn, I will usually blip the gas before letting out the clutch.
The new brenspeed tune makes this even more effective, since the throttle response is so much better than stock!
Old 12-06-2006, 05:16 AM
skinjob
1st Gear Member

So are you downshifting as you come out of the turn, or are you downshifting before the turn and freewheeling it with the clutch pedal pushed in throughout the turn?

-J

ORIGINAL: I8ACHEVY

I can't quite get my foot over to the gas while braking at the same time, but what I do is actuall brake before the turn, and then roll thru the turn completely off the brake, but as I exit the turn, I will usually blip the gas before letting out the clutch.
The new brenspeed tune makes this even more effective, since the throttle response is so much better than stock!
Old 12-06-2006, 02:29 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

You mean after reading about "Heel and Toe" in the automotive mags for 30 years I now don't HAVE to use my heel??? HA!
Great video! I had been using my heel on the brake and toe on the gas pedal on my old cars, especially when starting from a light while going uphill (ever try that in a HILLY area like SF?)
But when I sat in this cool BMW the other day I noticed how close together the 2 pedals were. And now I know I don't have to use my heel! I just have to learn a new technique! Fun!
Old 12-06-2006, 03:23 PM
StowesStang
4th Gear Member

Great educational video, need more like that [sm=smiley32.gif]
Old 12-07-2006, 04:41 AM
I8ACHEVY
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: skinjob

So are you downshifting as you come out of the turn, or are you downshifting before the turn and freewheeling it with the clutch pedal pushed in throughout the turn?

-J

ORIGINAL: I8ACHEVY

The 2nd part of it. I usually kick the clutch in and keep it pressed in until I exit the corner. I move the shifter lever down a gear while I am braking, but just freewheeling it thru the turn. I am trying to get into the habit of braking enough to be in a lower gear before I even enter the corner...so I can get on the gas thru the corner.
That being said...Is it good to downshift and brake at the same time like this:
Let's say you're in 5th gear approaching a right hand turn. Start to brake, kick clutch in, downshift to 4th, let the clutch out. Continue braking, kick the clutch in, downshift to 3rd, let the clutch out. Continue braking, kick clutch in, downshift to 2nd, let clutch out. At this point I am approaching the entrance of the turn and I can get on it pretty good and accelerate out.

After doing this, and if I get to my destination within a couple of minutes, I can smell the clutch. Is this normal shifting technique? and is it normal to smell the clutch like that?

Thanks
Old 12-07-2006, 05:03 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

sounds like your using your engine to do your braking...
Not a good idea if you're not racing. unless you'd rather replace your transmission instead of brake pads.
Just brake, then throw it into the appropriate gear.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:43 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I agree with you Orion 240! Save the transmission!
Old 12-07-2006, 07:19 AM
I8ACHEVY
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

sounds like your using your engine to do your braking...
Not a good idea if you're not racing. unless you'd rather replace your transmission instead of brake pads.
Just brake, then throw it into the appropriate gear.
Yes, I agree...I was of the same thought before I bought a stick car. I wanted to try it a couple of times, and while it works, I just don't feel it's worth it.
I think I'll stick to my original shift behavior above.