Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Response "hack"

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 05:46 PM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Throttle Response "hack"

All you are doing (if anything) is temporarily kicking the TPS (Throttle Positioning Sensor) out of whack. It will recover very shortly after ignition.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:47 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

It worked for me as well. I do it every few weeks as a matter of course.

As far as I know you only need to do the procedure once at a time.

I'd like to make clear that if you didn't have success, make sure you were doing it right. The above directions were correct, but I'll elaborate a little more to make it "idiot proof".

1) Get in the car. Shut all the doors.
2) Put the key in the ignition and turn it to ON, but DO NOT start the engine. If you accidentally cranked the engine over, take the key out and start again.
3) Wait for all the blinking lights and indicators to go out. This will take some time...maybe 30 seconds or more. It is important that you wait long enough for the ECU to be finished with all the junk it does when you first turn the car on.
4) Slowly push the gas pedal all the way to the floor using your foot. Then let it up slowly. Like GT4RAD said, take 3 seconds or so each way. Do it in a smooth, constant, motion.
5) Once you've let up, turn the car off and remove the key.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:57 PM
5IVE.OH
3rd Gear Member

Ford has calibrated the "throttle lag" into the computer to avoid a lean condition when stomping on the accelerator. It can be removed by a competent tuner but not recommended.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:20 PM
stangster06
I ♥ Acer

5ive.oh

Do you have a tune? Just curious because you mention it is not recommended. I do not have one but am considering one based on all the great feedback about them on this forum but I have recently read a few negative posts about them - someone with a Brenspeed tune had problems when he dynoed. i would not take a chance on something that could cause problems for 20 - 25hp and the other things it is supposed to affect. I guess it might just depend...
Old 12-11-2006, 06:33 PM
Arwing
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stangster06

5ive.oh

Do you have a tune? Just curious because you mention it is not recommended. I do not have one but am considering one based on all the great feedback about them on this forum but I have recently read a few negative posts about them - someone with a Brenspeed tune had problems when he dynoed. i would not take a chance on something that could cause problems for 20 - 25hp and the other things it is supposed to affect. I guess it might just depend...
get the/A tuner man....thousands and thousands have them on this site. and maybe 3 have had a problem, and its probably their fault too. not the tuner.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:33 PM
ilduce321
2nd Gear Member

I tried this "hack" and it seemed to work for me...jumped a little quicker. But, it seemed to reset itself the second or third time I got in the car and went for a drive.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:56 PM
Grabbn 07
1st Gear Member

dose this work on 07 modles?
Old 12-11-2006, 07:02 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

Trust me. What you are doing does NOT reset any adaptives for throttle control. Any percieved benefit is purely imagination, wishful thinking, placebo effect, whatever you want to call it. I wish this was not true but there is nothing that tells the PCM to relearn the accelerator or throttle position sweep. This adaptivity is done continuously thousands of times every second.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:20 PM
ilduce321
2nd Gear Member

You're probably right about it being in our heads, I assumed that too. But, honestly, it really did seem as though the throttle was a little more responsive. There could be umpteen million different reasons for this that are coincidental, like air temp, etc.

ORIGINAL: shaners90lxhatch

Trust me. What you are doing does NOT reset any adaptives for throttle control. Any percieved benefit is purely imagination, wishful thinking, placebo effect, whatever you want to call it. I wish this was not true but there is nothing that tells the PCM to relearn the accelerator or throttle position sweep. This adaptivity is done continuously thousands of times every second.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:42 PM
sst06vert
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: shaners90lxhatch

Any solutions?? Would a tune work?

Quick Reply: Throttle Response "hack"