Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Last muffler question

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 08:31 PM
jerseystang07
4th Gear Member

Default Last muffler question

Which one?
Old 12-19-2006, 08:41 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Last muffler question

MAC
Old 12-19-2006, 08:49 PM
Buckman
3rd Gear Member

For a single I would go with the MRT.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:46 PM
jerseystang07
4th Gear Member

44 views and only 6 votes. C'mon guys help me out here!
Old 12-19-2006, 09:57 PM
raubt
4th Gear Member

I ordered my Flowmaster single pipe today. I was on the fence between a Flowmaster and an MRT, but after talking with some people, and listening to a whole bunch of video clips, Flowmaster was the way to go for me.

For sound difference, the main thing I noticed was that the MRT sounded like it was revving a little higher (perhaps smoother is the better word) and kind of sounded like more of a race-car noise to me. The Flowmaster on the other hand, sounds to be like it's a bit rougher and more throaty. In my opinion, the throaty, coarse sound seems better suited to an American muscle car like the Mustang, so it won me over there.

The other purchase issue is appearance. Everyone I saw with an MRT muffler had the exhaust tip sticking out 3 or 4 inches past the back of the car. This was something I definitely wasn't interested in when picking a muffler, so the Flowmaster won out there was well because of how it looks more flush with the back of the car.

Both mufflers sound and look great, but they both have big differences in those two categories. So, listen to lots of sound clips, look at lots of pictures, and go from there. Either way, your Mustang is going to be louder and sharper looking, it's just an issue of picking the exact sound and appearance that you personally prefer.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:51 AM
jerseystang07
4th Gear Member

I ordered my Flowmaster single pipe today. I was on the fence between a Flowmaster and an MRT, but after talking with some people, and listening to a whole bunch of video clips, Flowmaster was the way to go for me.

For sound difference, the main thing I noticed was that the MRT sounded like it was revving a little higher (perhaps smoother is the better word) and kind of sounded like more of a race-car noise to me. The Flowmaster on the other hand, sounds to be like it's a bit rougher and more throaty. In my opinion, the throaty, coarse sound seems better suited to an American muscle car like the Mustang, so it won me over there.

The other purchase issue is appearance. Everyone I saw with an MRT muffler had the exhaust tip sticking out 3 or 4 inches past the back of the car. This was something I definitely wasn't interested in when picking a muffler, so the Flowmaster won out there was well because of how it looks more flush with the back of the car.

Both mufflers sound and look great, but they both have big differences in those two categories. So, listen to lots of sound clips, look at lots of pictures, and go from there. Either way, your Mustang is going to be louder and sharper looking, it's just an issue of picking the exact sound and appearance that you personally prefer.
That right there convinces me! Thanks raubt, I'll be ordering my single Flowmaster AT in the next few days!