Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hood pin question

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 12:29 PM
Caution
5th Gear Member

Default hood pin question

So last night I decided to throw hood pins on the car and after everything was drilled and installed.... close the hood and the pins are to short.... !@#$%^&. I had the bolts threaded out until they were flush underneath and they are tight and well just not happening. I need it to be about a 1/4 inch higher. Any ideas on how to get that quater inch? I'm thinking that I'm more then likely going have to just suck it and buy new pins. For those of you that have pins where did you get them? Thanks to all in advanced!
Old 12-30-2006, 12:48 PM
mattblasi
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: hood pin question

You can let it thread about 2/3 of the way through the bottom bolt instead of all the way flush, and you may be able to adjust the hood stops on the front panel so the hood drops down a bit further, that will give you a little not sure if it would be enough though. 1/4" seems like alot of extra needed.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:56 PM
Caution
5th Gear Member

yeah tell me about it. It's slightly less then a 1/4 but a 1/4 would def be sufficient. I'm going to that mustang PCH Cruise so when I get home I'll tackle that. I have a buddy of mine checking to see if he can find longer bolts as well. I doubt that he will but hope that he does. Longer kit -yes. Longer bolt... umm hard to say.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:58 PM
Stone
2nd Gear Member

I think matt has the right idea unscrew it as far as you can and then tighten it a few turns and see if it's even close to enough and if not find some longer ones and try again, also good point if you have to tighten down the hood stops alittle if all else fails you might get enough if it's real close.
Best of luck and enjoy the cruise.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:40 PM
Barbarino
I ♥ Acer

I would love to see your pics when done, I kind like the pin look but have never seen them on a stock stang.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:48 PM
VanWilder
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Moses 05GT
For those of you that have pins where did you get them?
I ordered mine from steeda and they fit perfectly...the front of the car already had holes to put them in so the only drilling was on my hood. I dont know if you used these holes or not...that could have been the problem???Hereis a picture of mine.

Old 12-30-2006, 07:52 PM
07AlloyGT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: VanWilder

I ordered mine from steeda and they fit perfectly...the front of the car already had holes to put them in so the only drilling was on my hood. I dont know if you used these holes or not...that could have been the problem???
are those the same steeda pins that are $35 on their site?
Old 12-30-2006, 08:06 PM
VanWilder
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07AlloyGT

ORIGINAL: VanWilder

I ordered mine from steeda and they fit perfectly...the front of the car already had holes to put them in so the only drilling was on my hood. I dont know if you used these holes or not...that could have been the problem???
are those the same steeda pins that are $35 on their site?
Yeah those are them (480-3037 Slide Style Captive Hood Pins) I think they were only $25 when I got them. I really like them though. Definately a good look.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:23 PM
07AlloyGT
3rd Gear Member

how hard was it to drill the holes into your hood.

i really want hood pins but am freaking scared out of my mind about destroying my hood.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:01 PM
mattblasi
3rd Gear Member

Drilling the holes is not a hard thing to do, it is generally a good Idea to tape the area on both sides, (keeps flaring down) drill a small guide hole up then drill the larger hole down. Also make sure your hood is lined up properly with the fender line before you drill the hole, this can be adjusted by loosening the bood bolts on the brackets by the windshield, but it is something you can not change after the holes are drilled out of the hood. =) It is all about the minor details.

VanWilder, I love the hood, that is the first time I have seen it on a car. Every other time has just been misc. photos in boxes or on a wall for display. Nice choice.

Quick Reply: hood pin question