Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

side stripe removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 11:39 AM
jim01028
2nd Gear Member

Default side stripe removal

I'm wondering how to remove the side stripes on my 05. I have seen several posts where people mention that in their mods /descriptions, so I guess it can be done.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:42 AM
chrisc65
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: side stripe removal

I waited for a hot day and took a razor and started on one end. Once you get it started - it peels right off.

Good luck!
Old 01-03-2007, 11:56 AM
CaptainAmerica
1st Gear Member

I had the dealer remove mine as part of the "deal" - it is my understanding that they use a special extra hot blow dryer to easily peel them off. (I do that with all of my cars, i hate decals other than big bold white stripes down the middle )
Old 01-03-2007, 12:07 PM
jim01028
2nd Gear Member

thanks for that info guys, now I have to wait for a hot day in New England, those stripes might be on there for another couple of months lol. I didn't think too much about them until I saw other stangs with the color matched side skirts and no stripes and realized how much "cleaner" they looked.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:52 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Been thinging about this too.. but mine are starting to grow on me... gives it that retro matchbox car look (see sig)... now all I need is tires with raised white lettering...

ORIGINAL: jim01028

thanks for that info guys, now I have to wait for a hot day in New England, those stripes might be on there for another couple of months lol. I didn't think too much about them until I saw other stangs with the color matched side skirts and no stripes and realized how much "cleaner" they looked.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:03 PM
LegallyTorchRED
3rd Gear Member

You can also use "decal remover", it won't hurt the paint, is non-toxic. Available at most NAPA's. Sprays on, and wait a few mins, and presto, peels right off.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:13 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

If you use a hair dryer that will work as well! Start at one end and gently peel the corner and heat up the vinyl ahead of it and it should just slowly peel right off with no residue afterward! If there is residue than go get some goo-gone (real name of product) and it works wonders...than procede to waxing to protect the area
Old 01-03-2007, 05:30 PM
raubt
4th Gear Member

I was rinsing my car off with a hot-water pressure washer and one of the side stripes started to come off accidentally. So basically: heat. Hot water, hair dryer, etc. I'd be careful with the razer plan though, seems very easy to scratch if you're not extra careful.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:07 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

If you use a hair dryer that will work as well! Start at one end and gently peel the corner and heat up the vinyl ahead of it and it should just slowly peel right off with no residue afterward! If there is residue than go get some goo-gone (real name of product) and it works wonders...than procede to waxing to protect the area
+1

I would not go anywhere near the car with a razor (no need)
Im in MA and this weekend looks like it may be close to 60. Have the side facing the sun for a while, then use the hair dryer as indicated above (no heat gun). I haven't tried 'decal remover' but if temps are low and you can't wait until spring, it may be worth a try.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:59 PM
Ry05Stang
2nd Gear Member

Hello fellow New Englander, I'm here in Providence, RI and I just took my side stripes off 2 days ago. It was around 50 degrees out... I went outside with a blowdryer and an extension cord and went to it. I just put the blow dryer on one end for about 20 seconds and it peeled right off with my finger nails and was easily pulled right off. There's nothing to it

Quick Reply: side stripe removal