Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Bumper/Chroming?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 02:37 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Default Custom Bumper/Chroming?

Anyone have a resource on getting custom chroming done. What I would like to do is, mimic the front end of a 69 Boss, with the chrome trimmings that it offered. But have no idea where to begin to look.

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featur...front_view.jpg
Old 01-10-2007, 02:50 PM
Kriger
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Custom Bumper/Chroming?

I'm actually a plating lab tech, we do not do chrome where I work. We do a high bright zinc "indoor fake chrome look" along with some finishing processes we are developingalong with a ton ofpowdercoating. I'd focus on a local shop in your area. A smaller job shop would be perfect for your needs. Go triple chrome plated. Thats a copper plated coating thats buffed to a shineand then nickel plated which gives it some serious life long protection followed by a chrome plating. Anything less for a outdoor part will be a waste of your time and money.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:01 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

What kind of shop would do it? I would be in the Tampa area getting it done?
Old 01-10-2007, 03:06 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Chroming will be as easy as opening your wallet. What are you planningon as far asfabricating the actual bumper and brakets, etc. That some serious design and custom fab work; ...unless I'm missing something in your plan.

If you are planning on doing something for the back, well that would about double the effort and cost. Also do you really want to be adding the extra weight. because this isa big time and money expense venture I personally would get artist renditions first or even fab a foam prototytpe that would give me a complete visual. You want to know exactly how it will look before you begin the project ; well I would anyway. ...probably telling you stuff you already know.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:09 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

There is that small spot on the top part of our bumpers that sticks out from the rest. It's like a 2" ridge, I would like to get that chromed out. Does that make sense?
Old 01-10-2007, 03:16 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

Just keep in mind, those bumper covers flex, and the plater would have to take that into account, just as a painter has to lay a special primer, adhesion promoter to help keep the paint from cracking.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:17 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Boozshey

There is that small spot on the top part of our bumpers that sticks out from the rest. It's like a 2" ridge, I would like to get that chromed out. Does that make sense?
I see, yeah when I get home I'll take a look. At one time I was thinking of something like this to keep my black bumper with the flames above and this "chrome piece" would provide the break along the side seam of the bumper and the fender. Although I've done quite a bit of metal fab work I decided this was not practical. ...at least for me to pursue.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:20 PM
pegasusphototx
2nd Gear Member

http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/h...hid=F10AJ73972

Just purchase ones already made!

-danny
Old 01-10-2007, 03:23 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Boozshey

Well you can't chrome anything on the bumper surface itself. It's flexible ABS plastic.It moves, bends, shrinks and expands with temp changes (more than metal); There may be a chrome paint, type application but remember this is not like interior plastic, and it also plows through the air and any debris that is in its path.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:25 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pegasusphototx

http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/h...hid=F10AJ73972

Just purchase ones already made!

-danny
That looks promising (chrome on steel).

Quick Reply: Custom Bumper/Chroming?