Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Newb's Perspective/Review (kinda long)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 07:46 PM
PBR_Streetgang
1st Gear Member

Default A Newb's Perspective/Review (kinda long)

Pickedher up yesterday. 3 weeks late, but it was worth the agony. 07 GT Alloy Met 5-spd. Unlike a lot of you guys, I'm old (43). I've coveted a Mustang GT since 1985, but I've been relegated to minivans and midsize cars due to a growing family and several overseas assignments. Never driven a stick stateside, although I ran the gamut of Japanese cars from column-shift vans to 5-speed RX-7s and 280Zs while stationed over there. Test drove the Mustang GT w/auto, but my wife shamed me into ordering a stick at the last minute. Soooo....my first time driving a stick stateside was a 300hp car that I'd just dropped almost $29k on. Pretty smart, huh? Anyway...
This car is the most fun I've had outside of the sack. I know a lot of you guys thirst for 300+ rwhp (and I might a little later), but from my totally newb perspective I love the acceleration and sound (not too crazy about the delay when I take my foot off the gas, however). The manual transmission iseasy to work, even for someone who's a little rusty. Not the smoothest shifter in the world; I'll give it 1,000 miles or so to see if I want to swap it for something else. Did I mention how fun it is to drive? No hunting for the right gear, very responsive acceleration, easy to get on the gas a little in a turn without losing the ***-end. It handles better than our minivan & my old Grand Prix, but I can't say anything about the handling until I REALLY learn how to drive her. Not much is said about the ergonomics, but the car fits me like a pair of custom made shoes. The views are great, the controls are where they should be, the seats are comfortable, and the Shaker 500 puts out nice sound. I just stood outside looking at it last night while thinking "I can't F^%&ing believe that's my car." 22 years I've been waiting....
NASCAR Dad stuff....
Two 5' tall daughters had no problems sitting in the back seats...plenty of room.
Trunk space is surprisingly good. 3 golf bags (carry-type), or 2 carry bags plus 4 cases of beer (cans) or two cases (bottles) will fit with ease.
Girls love these things. If there's a scumbag hanging around whom your daughter would never date in a million years, but said-scumbag drives a Mustang...watch him. And that trunk can carry 1 dead boyfriend as well. Just take out your sticks first.
SEGs all around...
Old 01-12-2007, 07:50 PM
Sherwood06GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: A Newb's Perspective/Review (kinda long)

Welcome to the club!
Old 01-12-2007, 07:53 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

great review! glad your having fun after waiting
so long.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:23 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

And that trunk can carry 1 dead boyfriend as well.
LOL. Best line of the post!! Very nice write up, and for what it's worth, I don't think your opinion will change. I know mine has not...Oh, and by the way, at 43, you're still quite a bit younger than several of us.

Every once in awhile, something happens and you just fall in love with this car all over...I was on the freeway last night, had not been for some time. Saving the lurid details, I absolutely adore 3rd gear in this car.....Just need that reminder once in awhile, and got just that last night.....This morning on the way to work, came out of Starbucks (save the yuppie comments, regular coffee only..[8D][8D]) just in time to watch a guy jump out of his Chevy truck, walk over, and do a 360 around my car.....Just walked up, smiled, and knew it would be a good day.....

Welcome to the forums, and the club!!

Mike
Old 01-12-2007, 10:10 PM
StowesStang
4th Gear Member

Welcome to the world of Mustangs!!!!! Great place to be indeed!!!!!!!!!! [sm=bounceybounce.gif]
Old 01-12-2007, 10:18 PM
RUFDRAFT
3rd Gear Member

PBR - You made me smile! You're one of us.

I'm 56 years old, if that makes you feel any better. I've had 5 Mustangs - starting with an '85 hatch GT.

This car will grow on you. Of all the Mustangs I've owned, this one feels Right. (and fast)

Enjoy every ride, my friend.

Here's a link to my car's history:
http://www.stangsunleashed.com/forum...showtopic=3204

Ruf -

[IMG]local://upfiles/54696/893419A6C480476A98848F8689CC4ACE.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-12-2007, 10:26 PM
grabberorange1
3rd Gear Member

Uh oh...another one to join our therapy group...[sm=happy046.gif] Congrats!!

Old 01-12-2007, 10:40 PM
ZZLEGEND
3rd Gear Member

hey PBR. i am 60 and just bought mine 3 months ago. and i agree,,its just plain fun to drive. good luck and happy driving.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:47 PM
GT Newbie
3rd Gear Member

Like Ruff said- if it makes you feel any better, I'm 57 (going on 18 since the day I got this car!).

Loved the tip about room in the trunk to stash dead boyfriends- my daughter's already married (to a great guy- even if he doesn't own a Stang), but if some scumbag ever hassles my grandaughter in a few years- at least I know I can transport his sorry-*** remains in my Stang.
MWUHHAHAHAHAHAH.........[sm=lildevil.gif]

Good luck with your new toy.....!
Old 01-12-2007, 10:53 PM
bluestanger

Great ... another one of us! I'm 40 and have loved Mustangs since I was a little girl. I've had a 74II, 84GT, 05V6, and 07GT. You're gonna have a lot of fun with this car. Just watch out for the other drivers ... they're too busy trying to check out your car instead of watching where they are going!

Quick Reply: A Newb's Perspective/Review (kinda long)