Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why do stipes cost so much

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 11:15 AM
ZZmustang
Banned

Default why do stipes cost so much

Years back when the Dodge pickup came out with strips I went to the Dodge dealer to get a set for my SN95. The parts guys said they were $750. Are you kidding, It's tape, I told him and left. I called 3M company and they didn't sell a tape that was comparable to the Dodge stripe, something about it being a outdoor tape.
After looking at the site that someone else posted for Mustang strips ( http://www.spectrummarcom.com/mustang/stripepainter.html) I was wondering what makes the tape so expensive?
Old 01-15-2007, 11:19 AM
Archion
4th Gear Member

Default RE: why do stipes cost so much

Have you checked http://baltimorestreetmods.com?
Old 01-15-2007, 11:22 AM
LegallyTorchRED
3rd Gear Member

I'm sure our sponsor @ BSM could explain thisbetter.
But, IMHO the have to have superior adhesion so they won't come off for a very long time. Durability, won't crack, fade and curl in all extended weather conditions. They have to becut straight and precision.
As far as $750 from a dealer, they have tremendous parts and accessories mark ups. No doubt these are "bought out", and marked up.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:52 AM
ZZmustang
Banned

I don't mind paying for a strip kit but $750 was out of line even for some special tape.
I went to thebaltimore site and thats more like it. I'll look into it next week.
And "Durability, won't crack, fade and curl in all extended weather conditions. They have to becut straight and precision. " seems like 3M could handle that, but then they would sell a roll of 10" tape for $20 I guess. Thanks
Old 01-15-2007, 12:33 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

The demand for them is high, everyone likes the looks of stripes. So if you want strips, you gotta pay. Another alternative is to get them painted on. Up to you.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:03 PM
jerseystang07
4th Gear Member

Paint is expensive. My dad said that he wanted to check out both vinyl stripes and painted ones and he got a quote for just around $2000 for painted stripes, whereas the vinyl ones would be $120-$130 and then another $125-$150 to have them put on professionally. Basically vinyl would be less than $300.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:28 AM
RMGraphics
Banned

Usually the most expensive part of stripes is the labor. Especially if you are going to a car dealer for them.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:51 PM
stangster06
I ♥ Acer

When they paint stripes do they have to paint your whole hood, roof, rear, bumpers, etc?
Old 01-16-2007, 06:04 PM
kopfjager
1st Gear Member

Painted stripes are done by first removing the bumper covers and spoiler. Then the next step is sanding down the clearcoat on your existing paint. Then the stripes are painted on in whatever color you want over the sanded-down finish. Then clearcoat is sprayed over them. Then that clearcoat is wet-sanded and polished to remove the edge and make it shine like a babies heel.
This takes lots of labor and that is why painted stripes cost 2000-3000 dollars.
Vinyl stripes on the other hand are applied over your existing paint and they do their best to get all the wrinkles out........
Old 01-16-2007, 07:06 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kopfjager
Vinyl stripes on the other hand are applied over your existing paint and they do their best to get all the wrinkles out........
Give me a big ****ing break here. If they can't get all the wrinkles out with the baltimore street mods kit then they plain ****ing suck ***! I've never installed vinyl before and I did it in one shot with no wrinkles.

Do you have any experience or are you just blowing smoke.

Quick Reply: why do stipes cost so much