Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Obsessed

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 02:37 PM
cookiemonster
2nd Gear Member

Default Obsessed

I picked up my custom-ordered '07 Stang almost two weeks ago - and so far I've only put 48 miles on it!

I'm out here in the midwest where there's plenty of snow and salt on the road right now, so I'm just obsessing about rustproofing (w/Krylon zinc cold gavanizing primer & enamel sprays) and sealing the undercarriage (possibly with 3M metal sealants) before taking it out onto the streets on good days.

Am I just being obsessive-compulsive? lol

Old 01-18-2007, 02:40 PM
gatkins94
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Obsessed

YES......But it's probably a great idea! I do that every time I buy a new vehicle!
Old 01-18-2007, 02:41 PM
Caution
5th Gear Member

I wouldn't say so ---nothing wrong with showing the stang a little love to keep her looking good and protected. I wipe my down 98% of the time before I take it on the road... I like my stang to look good and shine when I'm cruisin... I live in Cali so the snow isn't a problem
Old 01-18-2007, 02:44 PM
06stangGT
4th Gear Member

I live in NY and we just got all the snow that we should have been getting for the past 2 months. I do drive it on the good days because it is my only car. (DD). I still have to get it undercoated but no, there is nothing wrong with showing some love!!
Old 01-18-2007, 02:46 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

If it's a daily driver don't go nuts. Make sure you hose down the under carriage as often as possible though. I heard it's pretty protected down there.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:57 PM
cookiemonster
2nd Gear Member

Right now I have an older '86 300zx Nissan to drive around in the snow/bad weather as a beater/daily driver until the insurance runs out in March. I hope spring will come quickly by March, and then I'll sell it then, and then use the Stang as my daily driver.

I thought about hosing down the undercarriage frequently - then I get obsessed about cleaning down there because, doesn't rust start to form only when the salt/dirt/etc mix with water??

ORIGINAL: mAnYsTyLeS

If it's a daily driver don't go nuts. Make sure you hose down the under carriage as often as possible though. I heard it's pretty protected down there.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:45 PM
Doc Holiday
2nd Gear Member

Many "touchless" car washes have the option for under-carriage cleaning as well.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:44 PM
cookiemonster
2nd Gear Member

Yeah ... are the touchless car washes a good idea (for the undercarriage spray)? I don't want the sprays to push salt even deeper into unwelded metal, nooks, etc.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:06 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

If the dirst, salt, crap is there for a looong time maybe. You should just hose it down within a day or 2 and your set.

ORIGINAL: cookiemonster

Right now I have an older '86 300zx Nissan to drive around in the snow/bad weather as a beater/daily driver until the insurance runs out in March. I hope spring will come quickly by March, and then I'll sell it then, and then use the Stang as my daily driver.

I thought about hosing down the undercarriage frequently - then I get obsessed about cleaning down there because, doesn't rust start to form only when the salt/dirt/etc mix with water??

ORIGINAL: mAnYsTyLeS

Old 01-18-2007, 08:23 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

rustproofing (w/Krylon zinc cold gavanizing primer & enamel sprays) and sealing the undercarriage (possibly with 3M metal sealants) before taking it out onto the streets on good days.
If you want to spray some zinc primer and top coat underneath go ahead but.
- don't waste your time with Krylon aerosol anything. If you can't spray automotive paints from a touchup gun don't bother.
- don't seal any underbody seams. You will only trap mositure and get corrosion sooner and in places folks who have done nothing will get.
- whatever you do, don't buy any undercoating in a can and spray that on your car.

The best thing you can do is leave it alone and just powerspray underneath as much as you can in the winter months. ...with a good thorough powerspray wash underneath on a really warm spring day, then take her out for a nice drive.

Quick Reply: Obsessed