Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Tranny Shifting Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 05:11 PM
swata
2nd Gear Member

Default Auto Tranny Shifting Question

Tothose of us who have auto transmissions there is an occasional need to shift manually to go through the gears. My question is when you take it out of "D" and lets say put in in "3" why does the tranny not down shift on it's own when you decelerate. Every other auto I've ever driven performs at the gear you select and lower automaticaly, but mine does not. Is this a result of the planetary gears vs a throttle body design?? or do I have a*uckedup tranny ???

[sm=feedback.gif]
Old 01-26-2007, 05:17 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Auto Tranny Shifting Question

The transmission is electronically controlled, if the computer does not deem it "safe" it will not shift until it is.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:24 PM
swata
2nd Gear Member

I understand that but if it's in 3rd and I come to a stop it should place it self in 1st and the shift back up to 3rd. Mine stays in 3rd from the start. This just doesn't seem normal to me.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:27 PM
BHRS
1st Gear Member

You are not alone, mine does the same thing. When North Texas had it's lastest ice storm, starting out in 2nd and 3rd made it easier on the ice.

I do agree with you, when you have it shifted in 3rd, it should start in 1st then shift up.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:29 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

OH THAT... It is manually controlled at that point, if you want to manual shift up, you have to manual shift up. The downshifting is electronically limited, up shift is full manual control, 3rd is 3rd, 2nd is 2nd and so forth, that caught me by surprise when i first did it too. The trans is fine, just different.up shifting you have full manual control, 1-4 is mechanical via the shifter, 5th is electronicall induced via the o/d button. Fords have always had that ability with the exception of the aod/aode/4r70w family.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:30 PM
swata
2nd Gear Member

Thanks..Thats hat I as looking for.. Just needed to make sure I'm not crazy and others are going through the same thing.. [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

ORIGINAL: BHRS

You are not alone, mine does the same thing. When North Texas had it's lastest ice storm, starting out in 2nd and 3rd made it easier on the ice.

I do agree with you, when you have it shifted in 3rd, it should start in 1st then shift up.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:34 PM
swata
2nd Gear Member

Thanks .. That issue should be addressed when taking delivery of the vehicle, but i guess they figue we will live with it, and we shall.. By the way how's the winter treating you guys this year.. I lived in FW for a few years a while back and I know it must be tough on the stang ??

ORIGINAL: Archion

OH THAT... It is manually controlled at that point, if you want to manual shift up, you have to manual shift up. The downshifting is electronically limited, up shift is full manual control, 3rd is 3rd, 2nd is 2nd and so forth, that caught me by surprise when i first did it too. The trans is fine, just different.up shifting you have full manual control, 1-4 is mechanical via the shifter, 5th is electronicall induced via the o/d button. Fords have always had that ability with the exception of the aod/aode/4r70w family.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:44 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

Winter has actually been pretty light this year, a few dustings that was it, it's worse down in VA actually. I drive it every day to Chantilly and back. AS fas as addressing it when you buy the car, we all know that most salesmen know nothing beyond what is in the brochure... But as stated above it comes in real handy in snow/ice/mud, that is why Ford has always done it. Chevy had to add a switch on the camaros to allow 2nd gear take off, and in a mopar your just screwed...

ORIGINAL: swata

Thanks .. That issue should be addressed when taking delivery of the vehicle, but i guess they figue we will live with it, and we shall.. By the way how's the winter treating you guys this year.. I lived in FW for a few years a while back and I know it must be tough on the stang ??

ORIGINAL: Archion

Old 01-26-2007, 05:46 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

And remember, manual shifting is fun, especially when racing and beating a stick car, just gotta be careful not to over shift with that loosie goosie shifter of ours.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:59 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

agreed on that, but when I got to do some backroads driving on Foxen Canyon, up in Santa Barbara County, I was disappointed at the amount of delay I'd get when making a turn and shifting my automatic. I'd be flying along at maybe 60+ then have to slow way down for a 90 degree turn. Midway through the turn I'd drop it into 2nd and then hit the gas and there was a short pause before the shift would catch.
I've heard that's normal, right?
Should I instead use 2nd before going into the turn? Using it to slow me down?
I really miss manual sometimes!

Quick Reply: Auto Tranny Shifting Question