Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serious Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 11:19 PM
nascarjunkie1
2nd Gear Member

Default Serious Question

Im in Arkansas got about 12 degress with the windchill today, low and behold when I left for work this evening my E brake was stuck as many of us have had happen. Finally got car towed home because dealer was closed, I have a C&L intake and a Tune on my engine, Ive got to have it towed to the dealer in the morning and get a rental, should I put the stock air intake and stock tune back on it before I have it towed to Ford, I heard people mention that you've got to put atleast 50 miles on the tune to make a difference? I dont know, need HELP PLEASE, dont want Ford to screw up my tune. Also it will take atleast 2 weeks they said to get the part, should I leave the car there and get a rental or have them disconnect the ebrake and drive around without it till the new one comes in, not comfortable about the car sitting on there lot for that long, need input guys PLEASE........thanks
Old 01-31-2007, 11:30 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Serious Question

Yes, flash it back, replace the stock parts and unlock your tuner, they will probably reflash the ecm, they are getting pretty persistant about it latley, if they do you'll probably have to send your tuner in for an update with your new code. (should be free)
Old 01-31-2007, 11:30 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

I would keep the car until they have the part for install. When I went to my dealer i just took the tune out incase they upgraded the computer. I left my C&L on. The dealer is like 2 miles from my place. If you can remove both before taking it in. Should not take more than 30 minutes to take it off and that way you wont get check ungine light.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:33 PM
DeStonn
4th Gear Member

Why would they open engine bay or even flash your ECm for an E-brake issue. Pick up your car and wait until they get the part. No one takes care of your car like you would.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:34 PM
nascarjunkie1
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys I will do that in the morning.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:37 PM
nascarjunkie1
2nd Gear Member

you never know what they are going to do, I heard a few people take their car in and they reflashed it and had DRL's when they left? I dont want to take a chance and screwing up my whole tune, just gonna half to make sure I got the car in gear when I park it.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:42 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

It is common practice for them to hook up to the system for any service, it is "Their new way of logging service visits" It is supposed to help against unsavory "techs" if you can call them that, nothing but damn glorified oil changers with open book test certs.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:23 AM
gidyup
2nd Gear Member

You could also try to release the e-brake yourself. Mine locked up so, per some other posts on the issue here, I found the cables and wiggled them around some, then left her running for about 10 min. hoping the heat from the exhaust would warm them up. The temp was in the high 20s at the time. When I went back out it was free. Others have used blow dryers on the cable.

Next time I take her in for service I'm going to have them replace the cables but for now I'm not using the e-brake if the temp is below freezing.

FYI the TSB on this is TSB06-5-4.

Also FYI, I made some earlierposts about unexpectedly getting DRLs when they replaced my Smart Junction Box which was ruined by the infamous water leak. It had nothing to do with reflashing the ECM.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:25 AM
MyGrabberOrangeGT
2nd Gear Member

Just curious, are you guys that have this problem use the E brake all the time. I do and have yet to experience this. I have left it on as long as three weeks already, in the garage. Car has 9700 miles now.

[IMG]local://upfiles/53664/3142B11E9DC74A45A01A855233BCEF36.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-01-2007, 12:31 AM
gidyup
2nd Gear Member

Per the TSB it happens because the rear sealing boot on the cable wears out "prematurely" allowing "water intrusion". When the water freezes it binds the cable.

Sounds like it could be a hit-and-miss problem, depending on the car and of course, whether or not the temp gets below freezing.

Quick Reply: Serious Question