Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got a scratch, help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 10:54 PM
NEPATS
1st Gear Member

Default Just got a scratch, help!!

Got tapped in the rear at a light today![:@]No damage except for a scratch maybe 1/2 inch long on rear bumper. Any suggestions? Can I use touch up paint and buff it out? It goes to the urethane so black is showing. Or do I just suck it up and take it to the body shop? If you take one step back you cant even see it, but it is all I can think about now. My baby has been scratched. Oh and guess who the culprit was......you guessed it, soccer mom on cell phone. I jumped out of my car and screamed "what the **** is wrong with you!!" Then I noticed it was a caravan with mom and like 19 kids in it. The look on their faces was priceless. Well back on topic... I know there are a lot of experts out there, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:02 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Just got a scratch, help!!

I recommend you sellthe car.

J/K - You can't buff it out if the paint is gone, so you have a few options.

-touch up paint, which will make it look worse IMO.
-repaint it, looking at a hefty buck
-buy a new bumper from www.newtakeoff.com cheaper than repainting it
-lastly you can just suck it up and live with it

If you want to completely rid the damage you must follow the second or third route I posted above.

May I ask you to post a picture of your car so I can see you spinners more clearly? Where did you buy them and are they the straight ones or curved? I'm thinking about getting them for my DD bullitts.

-Jeff
Old 02-01-2007, 11:10 PM
ohsixgt1217
4th Gear Member

If you can see black, it cant be buffed out. The rule of thumb is if you run your fingernail accross it, and can feel the scratch, it cant be buffed. Although it doesnt really matter in this case since you can see black, but just for future reference. Just out of curiousity, why didnt you get her info? I remember with my last car i got hit like that, seriously no damage but a little scratch, went and got a hefty estimate from a high end body shop and the culprit's insurance gave me $800, lol i went and bought new wheels.
Personally i'd deal with it, unfortunatly if its your daily driver worse is likely to happen, so just beglad it wasnt major. If it eeks you that much go check out an estimate to get it repainted.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:13 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohsixgt1217

If you can see black, it cant be buffed out. The rule of thumb is if you run your fingernail accross it, and can feel the scratch, it cant be buffed. Although it doesnt really matter in this case since you can see black, but just for future reference. Just out of curiousity, why didnt you get her info? I remember with my last car i got hit like that, seriously no damage but a little scratch, went and got a hefty estimate from a high end body shop and the culprit's insurance gave me $800, lol i went and bought new wheels.
Personally i'd deal with it, unfortunatly if its your daily driver worse is likely to happen, so just beglad it wasnt major. If it eeks you that much go check out an estimate to get it repainted.

Was wondering the same thing.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:18 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

160 for a new rear at newtakeoff. Its well worth it in my opinion.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:23 PM
ned4spe
1st Gear Member

just replace it.. if its really bugs the heck out of you. other wise just wait for the next a-hole to hit it and make him pay for it.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:29 PM
07AlloyGT
3rd Gear Member

why is it always women on cell phones?

ticks me off
Old 02-02-2007, 12:17 AM
justiniida
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07AlloyGT

why is it always women on cell phones?

ticks me off

so true.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:38 AM
Jurnymn
2nd Gear Member

Here in Tulsa, it is now a 200$ fine if a cop is in a bad mood and decides to get you for talking on a cell.
That also goes for eating while driving or any other thing that occupies you instead of driving.[sm=wakeup.gif]
Old 02-02-2007, 12:41 AM
NEPATS
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohsixgt1217

Well it was so small I didnt see it till I inspected again im the light of my garage. It was dark at the time, it still my fault for not getting her info I guess. I figured Id have to go to an AB place. Thanks for the other ideas guys, I will check those out.

Quick Reply: Just got a scratch, help!!