Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tint Scratches

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 04:59 PM
GrabberOrange07
2nd Gear Member

Default Tint Scratches

Well, its 2 weeks into my new car and my windows have scratches in the tint. Guess they didnt fix the problem on 07's. Wish me luck in dealing with the company the dealer had install the tint. Should I mention the moleskin trim inserts or should I just play dumb, let them install new tint and then put them in myself? I just don't want them passing the blame elsewhere to try to get out of redoing them.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:12 PM
Drew47000000
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Tint Scratches

Im actually in the same scenario as you are at the moment... Its in the shop and they've told me the know this has been a real prob with these stangs but they say Ford has no fix for it. He offered to replace the glass but I know thats not going to make anything better so I turned them down on that. I asked them if they knew of any additional felt inserts they could resort to and they said no Ford does not offer such a device. I then braught up the moleskin and they said they've never heard of it. Once I explained it to them they said they could only use Ford parts, but would be willing to install it if I purchase it... Im thinking I might try to make Ford pay for the moleskin, lol! I know its a longshot but these guys have been really good to me, I'll let you know how it goes from there on out!!
Old 01-31-2007, 06:18 PM
hooverimg
1st Gear Member

Just depends on the dealer. I bought my 06 GT with Tints from the dealer...therefore, I expect the dealer to cover the tints under my warranty.

Having said that, I brought my car into the dealer for my 5k checkup and told them about the tints. The Ford dealer does not do tints...however they have an outside vendor who does tint work for thier location. I told the vendor my problem and that moleskins were needed for the fix. Ford paid for the vendor toreplace my tints (moleskin included). Hope this helps.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:58 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I just got my windows tinted and I installed the moleskin myself prior to the install. So far no scratches.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:11 PM
JAYS06SILVERGT
1st Gear Member

Default W T F !!!

[>:]What the hell did I buy here, I going to have to stop reading these forums. I have the same problem with my Tint. my hood flutters at speeds, I have some shimmy in the steering, and I am afraid to see if I am taking on water!
Old 01-31-2007, 07:13 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moosestang

I just got my windows tinted and I installed the moleskin myself prior to the install. So far no scratches.

+1

I did the exact same thing.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:30 PM
Cobrakev
3rd Gear Member

Moleskin only way to go. My dealer did the tint on my 07, of course they had a outside vendor do it. They use velcro on the hard plastic trim. Bad mistake, the glue was coming off two day after install. Have your windows redone by the dealer and install the moleskin yourself. Takes less than one hour to do both doors.
Kevin
Old 01-31-2007, 07:39 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Cobrakev

Moleskin only way to go. My dealer did the tint on my 07, of course they had a outside vendor do it. They use velcro on the hard plastic trim. Bad mistake, the glue was coming off two day after install. Have your windows redone by the dealer and install the moleskin yourself. Takes less than one hour to do both doors.
Kevin
Yep. And if you are particularly worried about the glue coming off, use some adhesive promoter on the bonding surface before you apply the moleskin.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:30 PM
sunguf
3rd Gear Member

where is everyone buying from? i think i found a good place http://www.tintprotector.com/ford.htm
Old 01-31-2007, 11:21 PM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

That's where I bought mine from. It arrived fast and worked great.

A quick note though: The material is not "pre cut" for you. They ship two strips of material--plenty to do the car, but you have to trim it with a razor blade to fit.

Quick Reply: Tint Scratches