Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power/Wiring Question

Old 02-14-2007, 04:58 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Power/Wiring Question

ORIGINAL: azstanglover

You can run low current items into the fuse box. Really no need to run extra power wires to the battery for that. Or you can tap into a hidden power wire. When I had my F-150 I had my radar detecter spliced into the dome light. Very little of the wire showed and it turned on and off with the car. Just remember to add an inlile fuse to it to protect your electrical system just in case.

For things like your audio system, I would suggest running power wire directly to the battery. You may or may not have a capacitor. Thats your choice and really depends on how big of a system you get. Whenever you introduce electrical circuits into your audio system it may cause intereference. Again, depending on your goals for your audio system that may or may not matter to you.

A second battery is an option that some audio enthusiats use. Just remember that when you add a second battery that you need to recharge that battery as well as the battery used to start your car.
Thanks... yeah I currently have the radar detector wired into the passenger kick panel fuse box. I thought about doing the dome light thing, but disregarded the idea because I couldnt figure it out and was eager to get it installed, so it was basically, me not having the patience at that time. In the future, if I dont end up getting this power pack thing I might do the dome hook up, or at least do a more solid/permanent job @ the fuse box.

When I get the audio system done, it will all be about quality so anything that will reduce SQ will get rejected quickly. If I took the audio stuff straight off another battery in the trunk, how could that be recharged? Would I have to somehow hook that up to the alternator (Im thinking it would become overloaded), or would I just have to cycle the batteries in the engine bay with the one in the trunk every now and then?
Old 02-14-2007, 05:03 AM
dirtydeedsinc
2nd Gear Member

Another thing to look at is how many spare fuse holders are in the factory fuse box. I'm no where near mine so I couldn't look at one myself. While I agree with azstanglover on running the audio system straight off the battery, you have to remember to turn it off or you can drain your battery.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:16 AM
dirtydeedsinc
2nd Gear Member

Basically, you don't want it to look like this when you're done:

Fortunately I had doors I could close to hide this and it wasn't this bad when I finished.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:26 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

I believe there are only 3 spare fuse spots in the passenger kick panel, never opened the one in the engine bay. Only one in the passenger spot is ignition controlled. And yes, I dont want my wiring to look like that lol!

When running straight off the battery how do you "turn it off" ... I know that sounds like a stupid question, but when doing an entire audio system (amps, subs, a headunit, component speakers, a cap, possibly a processor and equilizer, etc) how do you do that? ---Sorry if theres a really simple answer and Im just not seeing it lol, I just cant imagine having to go to my trunk and turn a bunch of stuff off every time I get out of my car lol.

BTW, thanks for your responses and suggestions guys!
Old 02-14-2007, 05:34 AM
dirtydeedsinc
2nd Gear Member

To turn it off, you'd need to put a relay in between the battery connection and what you plan to power. Then power the relay off of something that comes on with the ignition. Headlight relays will work most of the time but some car audio shops have larger ones if needed. If you don't understand how a relay works, it's basically the same thing as your starter solenoid. You apply power to it and it causes a set of contacts to close and send power where you want it. That's the simple version. Don't worry about asking questions. No one knows everything and that's the only way to learn.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:52 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Thanks dirtydeeds, I think Im going to do that, it sounds like a good idea!