Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie + Question about new Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 10:08 AM
LS1Hawk

Default Newbie + Question about new Mustang

Hey Guys, I'm brand new to the boards. As you can see from my username and sig, I am an F-body owner. I have 2002 Trans Am Firehawk A4 and love the car to death. However, it's a garage queen and only comes out in the nice weather. That being said, I'm not one of the typical F-body owners who hates Mustangs. I've always liked Mustangs even though Firebirds are my passion. When I was a kid, my family had a '68 so I kind of grew up around them the same way I grew up around Chevys and Pontiacs.

I am currently in the market for a new daily driver and I'm highly considering the Mustang GT. Right now I have '97 Sunfire, and don't think it's going to hold up much longer. If I could I would hold out for when the Camaro and Challenger come out so I could compare, but the Mustang is really the best deal that's out there right now. I've driven the GT and I think it's definitely got enough power for a daily driver and it rides rather well.

Here are my questions: I live in North Jersey and just wanted to know how well it handles in bad weather, i.e. snow, rain, etc.? I know any rear wheel drive car is going to have its issues in bad conditions, but just wanted see what people could say from experience. Also those who drive their cars regularly, do you find it comfortable and practical enough to be a daily driver? My daily commute to work is about 50 miles round trip and mostly highway. I'm also considering the 5 spd.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:10 AM
xbone
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Newbie + Question about new Mustang

Sure, get a crappy stang to drive in the snow while you polish your firebird in the garage. Get a friggin Kia kid.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:44 AM
RED121572
4th Gear Member

Nah, dont let XBONE get ya down. lol

Ive got a buddy that has a 2000 something ram air firebird. Black with T tops. Its a really sharp car.

Anyway, the stock rear tires on the stang are all seasons and do very well in the snow actually.I assume your firebirdgets stuckwith just a trace of snow on the ground. I had a corvette and the car would get stuck if you dumped a slurpy next to it.

In my mind, mustangs were just fast. Other than that, I always thought they were junk and I still think the older ones are. lol

Ive got an 06 and love it. Its built really well, the interior appeals to me and its REALLY comfortable.

Old 02-16-2007, 10:50 AM
billyjo
2nd Gear Member

well, make sure it has traction control, and take it easy and you will do great. The Gt was a surpise to me on how well it handled in the snow for all the power.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:30 AM
LS1Hawk

ORIGINAL: xbone

Sure, get a crappy stang to drive in the snow while you polish your firebird in the garage. Get a friggin Kia kid.
Haha, not surprised to get an answer like this, lol. Definitely not looking at it like I'd be getting a "crappy stang." I'm very meticulous with my all my cars.

I've never taken my Firehawk out in the snow, but guys I know with 4th gen F-bodies say they slip around a lot.

But it's good to hear that these cars handle well. It's only a few months out of the year I have to deal with snow, but something I have to consider when buying a car.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:53 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Any rear wheel drive car has issues with snow. Performance snows are great over old style snowsbut still if your looking at over 3 inches of snow anything is spinning. And I wouldn't hold my breath over the Camaro/Challenger. The companies are having a lot of trouble lately and to start a new lineup doesn't sound right. A buddy that works for GM heard there not opening a rear wheel drive plant. Does that mean the Camaro or a truck, who knows?
Old 02-16-2007, 01:16 PM
thxultra
2nd Gear Member

I drive my 2006 in the snow with the stock tires and have to admit it does slide a bit. If you drive it with common sense however it isn't that bad. I wish I had a beater for a daily because I hate the sailt and crap getting on my car but sense she is my olny ride I have no choise but to drive her in the snow. The traction control definatly helps greatly. To be honest I was surprised how well the car does in the snow.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:30 PM
mgreen03

My GT is a daily driver and I would say it definitely is suitable in terms of ride, comfort, and power. I've had it in the snow the last couple of days and it's not too bad if your sensible with it. You won't go charging up any slick hills, but it'll get you around it light conditions.

That being said, if I had the money I would keep the Mustang out of the snow and have a 4WD for bad weather. Mostly because I can't stand seeing the salt all over it.

Old 02-16-2007, 01:51 PM
06blueovalblueGT
2nd Gear Member

Hey Hawk, Welcome,
you know we all share the passion of cars, just diffrent flavors,
I have no snow experince here in Florida,but, it was 30 degrees this morning !!
Mine to is a a garage queen, and I have an F-150 for work and play.
I would find an 05/06 second owner car and let someone else take depreciation.
That way someone else has knocked the new off it, and you can make it adaily driver.
I was born and raised FORD; Thats why I'm here!!
E N J O Y !!!!
Old 02-16-2007, 03:39 PM
LS1Hawk

ORIGINAL: mgreen03

My GT is a daily driver and I would say it definitely is suitable in terms of ride, comfort, and power. I've had it in the snow the last couple of days and it's not too bad if your sensible with it. You won't go charging up any slick hills, but it'll get you around it light conditions.

That being said, if I had the money I would keep the Mustang out of the snow and have a 4WD for bad weather. Mostly because I can't stand seeing the salt all over it.

Thanks for all the responses guys. They definitely help. I hate the salt, too. That's one of the reasons why I hung on to my other car when I got the Firehawk, that stuff just eats up a car. But I really like these new generation Mustangs, and at present have nothing holding me back really from getting one. I don't want to go for something else I'm not really crazy about and then down the road regret not getting the Mustang when I had the chance.

Quick Reply: Newbie + Question about new Mustang