Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ramps for lowered Stangs

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 12:26 PM
blueshawk
1st Gear Member

Default Ramps for lowered Stangs

Has anyone found anything cheaper that you can buy (not make) than these ramps for lowered Stangs?

Race-R-XT $289!!

http://www.discountramps.com/low_profile_car_ramp.htm
Old 02-27-2007, 12:38 PM
billyjo
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Ramps for lowered Stangs

Well if you are handy hear is a way to build some for lowered stangs

http://mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/mwramps/index.htm
Old 02-27-2007, 12:47 PM
stangdude81
2nd Gear Member

I haven't tried them yet, but I bought a set of low profile ramps from Autozone for my last car. Considering the forward stance of the front wheels on the S197's, I'd think they would work, but don't know for sure yet
Old 02-27-2007, 12:48 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

These work great!

http://www.amazon.com/Blitz-11903-Rh.../dp/B000AMMN9O

They only raise it 7 inches I think, but it's plenty for most jobs. I still have to drive up on a 2x8 in the front because the front bump will hit the ramp just barely. The back will go right up though. They don't slip and no spin from the tires when going up.

I'd like to design a mini lift for us do-it-yourselfers that doesn't cost $1700 and doesn't take freight truck to deliver, but I don't know where to start.

Surely we could come up with a small lift that can safely lift all 4 corners up to 3-4 feet off the ground. That would be perfect for me.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:48 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I'd like to design a mini lift for us do-it-yourselfers that doesn't cost $1700 and doesn't take freight truck to deliver, but I don't know where to start.
Designing the thing wouldn't be all that hard. I've had the same thoughts for a while now (I'm getting too old to enjoy crawling around underneath on my back, I guess). But it won't be light - for cars in the 3000-ish weight range you'll have over halfa ton of steel in it before you can blink. Even if all you were going to use it for was 1200 lb Caterham 7s and 1400 lbAustin-Healey Sprites and only three feet or so rise, figure on several hundred lbs.

What really scares me is the liability, and even though I work in a structural engineering field and have a rather ancient BSCE degree I think my comfort level would stop at a production run of one unit (my own). Included with my most recent copy of "Brake& Front End" magazine was a separate publication that had a number of articles that address lifts and what can happen when inspection and maintenance lies somewhere between "iffy" and "nonexistent". Scary. And that's forprofessional indoor installations, done on a level floor of sufficient thickness that presumably doesn't have any cracks or seams anywhere near the anchor bolts for the posts (never mind that my own direct personal observation on that last matter is that even the professional installers don't always pay close enough attention to the condition of the concrete). No telling what some unknown DIY'er is going to do with it.

Norm
Old 02-27-2007, 02:15 PM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

rhino ramps are awesome and less than thirty bucks at Advance, Autozone, etc.. They have plenty of room for the unlowered stang, but also for the CTSV airdam which is pretty darn low.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:30 PM
buddha211
2nd Gear Member

I thought about getting some Rhino ramps and just using a 2"x10" plank at the front if I need further clearance. On a related topic does anyone have any preference when it comes to floor jacks and jackstands or are they all pretty much equal?
Old 02-27-2007, 03:54 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Avoid the stamped sheet metal jackstands. The pins will eventually waller out the holes or you might not insert it all the way sometime. Even if you're specifically paying attention to the stand, you won't get much warning if something lets go.

I saw a review of floor jacks not too long ago, but don't remember where. What I do remember is that one of the more common upmarket ones whose name begins with a "C" was over-rated in terms of lifting capacity.

Do yourself a favor when you need to use a 2x with a ramp - bevel the ends of the plank to make it easier to get the car to crawl up onto it without making it (and the ramp) slide. Top of one end (for the wheels to ride up on), bottom of the other (to fit up to the ramp a little closer).

Norm
Old 02-27-2007, 04:18 PM
PennState
6th Gear Member

make one outta wood..
Old 02-27-2007, 06:03 PM
6xStang
3rd Gear Member

I have stacked up some 2 x 10's to make a staggered graduated incline to give me a few inches of extra clearance, before I bought the rhinos. Worked fine and was virtually fail safe.

Quick Reply: Ramps for lowered Stangs