Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Balance weights

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 01:37 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

Default Balance weights

Can wheels be balanced with the weights on the inside? I'd like to have them where they don't mess up the look of my wheels. And if they do this, are there any negative consequences?
Old 02-28-2007, 01:39 PM
05 Mustang GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Balance weights

Yes, thats all I ever get done. I hate the look of the weights on the outside. Any good tire shop can install inside weights.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:51 PM
Rippin n Tarrin
2nd Gear Member

Yes they can. But I was told by a manager from a tire company that it doesn't balance the wheel as well andhigh speeds couldcause a problem. He didn't elaborate on what kind of problem except that I got the idea it could cause a handling problem at high speeds not a mechanical damage problem.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:45 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rippin n Tarrin
Yes they can. But I was told by a manager from a tire company that it doesn't balance the wheel as well andhigh speeds couldcause a problem. He didn't elaborate on what kind of problem except that I got the idea it could cause a handling problem at high speeds not a mechanical damage problem.
If the weights are on the outside of the wheel, they are in the same plane as the lugs. That is, if there were a flat plate extending out from the lugs to the rim, then the weights would touch the plate. But if they're on the inside of the wheel, they are not. I don't remember enough physics to know if this would make any difference, so that's why I asked the question.

Tell you what, I'll go ask one of our tire sponsors the same question. They should know.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:55 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Good question I've often wondered about that.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:48 PM
Aziraphale
4th Gear Member

Yes, they can be balanced with the stick on weights on the inside. My factory wheels came like that and I had my old wheels on my jeep balanced like that. I have heard that they sometimes can't get it exactly right but most people will never know the difference.

EDIT: You don't mean on the inside inside (I know, watch out for that technical term!) of the rim do you (ie. the part that is pressurized)? I've never heard of that, I was referring to the inside of the dish behind the lug nuts.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:15 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Aziraphale

Yes, they can be balanced with the stick on weights on the inside. My factory wheels came like that and I had my old wheels on my jeep balanced like that. I have heard that they sometimes can't get it exactly right but most people will never know the difference.

EDIT: You don't mean on the inside inside (I know, watch out for that technical term!) of the rim do you (ie. the part that is pressurized)? I've never heard of that, I was referring to the inside of the dish behind the lug nuts.
No, you got it right. I didn't mean inside the tire. That would be a little difficult since they have to mount the tire before they balance.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:18 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

Okay, I asked this question on the forum that we have for asking the vendors tire questions, and here's what they said: https://mustangforums.com/m_2801700/tm.htm

I also called the tire place near where I live that I've used for a number of years, and they said it's no problem. They also only charge $7 per wheel to do a balance, so I may just get it done.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:25 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

This is how my stock Bullitts came on my 2005 GT. First thing I asked was "can I move the wheel weights?"

[IMG]local://upfiles/15212/A793BE012F144CD486A63C88AF52CE14.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-01-2007, 06:35 AM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

Is this the wheel weights you guys are talking about?

Quick Reply: Balance weights