Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bracing it up/rim question

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 04:20 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

Default bracing it up/rim question

hey, my mom has a '05 GT that we recently outfitted with the Cervini's Eleanor boby kit, but instead of ordering that hood, we ordered the sadly non funcional Ram air hood[:@]... anyway, I am going to suggest that we suprise my mom again by getting her another part for the car. I was thinking about a strut tower brace, as we have so many twisty roads up here in NE PA... I was looking at a steeda and a Maximum Motorsports unit. does anyone have any experience with them? I want to know the best product for the money. which one will fit under the ram air hood, I presume that if it were to fit under a stock hood than it should fit under the ram air hood as it has more clearance. the engine is bone stock aside from the side pipes..

also, with the body kit... as the body kit is much lower than the stock part, we were wondering if my mom were to get a set of 18 inch rims if that would help provide a bit more ground clearance as she has scraped the underside (no one can see it) of the nose a few times... the car currently has the 17 inch rims that came on the '05's still has the original pirellis too heh. (she drives the car like there is a crate of eggs under the pedal....)
Old 03-05-2007, 05:57 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: bracing it up/rim question

ORIGINAL: Shelty

hey, my mom has a '05 GT that we recently outfitted with the Cervini's Eleanor boby kit, but instead of ordering that hood, we ordered the sadly non funcional Ram air hood[:@]... anyway, I am going to suggest that we suprise my mom again by getting her another part for the car. I was thinking about a strut tower brace, as we have so many twisty roads up here in NE PA... I was looking at a steeda and a Maximum Motorsports unit. does anyone have any experience with them? I want to know the best product for the money. which one will fit under the ram air hood, I presume that if it were to fit under a stock hood than it should fit under the ram air hood as it has more clearance. the engine is bone stock aside from the side pipes..

also, with the body kit... as the body kit is much lower than the stock part, we were wondering if my mom were to get a set of 18 inch rims if that would help provide a bit more ground clearance as she has scraped the underside (no one can see it) of the nose a few times... the car currently has the 17 inch rims that came on the '05's still has the original pirellis too heh. (she drives the car like there is a crate of eggs under the pedal....)
Just switching to 18" wheels won't change the ground clearance unless you use a different size tire. The diameter of the 17" and 18" tire is the same if you're talking about the standard tire. The sidewall is taller on the standard 17" tire than the standard 18". It would be possible to get a larger diameter tire even on the 17" rims, but you probably don't want to do that because of clearance issues. It also messes up the calibration of the speedometer, so you'd have to readjust that with a tuner.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:02 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

thanks for the info, I'll have to let her know
Old 03-05-2007, 07:06 PM
Haze28
3rd Gear Member

That body kit needs to be rollin on 20's. It looks better and might give you a little extra clearance.