Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT 05 heders problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 12:32 PM
Linde
1st Gear Member

Default GT 05 heders problem

Hello,

I have a problem. Will buy one GT 2005 next week and there is a little problem with it.
Seller has changed to heders and a new exhaust system as I understand.
On the new system there is only place for "one" "O2" sensor as I did understand. And there is four?!

He is now getting "check engine" and when pluging in OBD reader he get error on the "O2" sensors.

I dont understand why buy a system that is not correct but what evere.
Is this something that can be fixed? Or is a new system the only thing?

I donĀ“t know what mark/model there is on the new system but maybe someone can help me either way.
I know he did bought it from Summit and seller says that Summit has told him, that the check engine light should not be on, so I dont know.

Thank You
Daniel From Sweden
Old 03-28-2007, 01:20 PM
Sherwood06GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: GT 05 heders problem

The CEL will come on unless you either get a tuner and dial out the O2 sensors, or get MIL Eliminators.
http://www.mileliminators.com/

Old 03-28-2007, 01:22 PM
Johnnie D
2nd Gear Member

Get a tunner and solve the problem, it will turn off the O2 sensors. No more codes and no more problems
Old 03-28-2007, 01:31 PM
Linde
1st Gear Member

Ok so the car will run great without all the sensors connected?
What type of tuner whould you prefer? Xcal 2? Diablo?

So there is no strange thing that there is only 1 connection at the exhaust?

I have ben thinking about the XCal 2 seems to be a good thing.

Thanks so mutch!
Old 03-29-2007, 11:10 AM
Linde
1st Gear Member

I have now read some about the SCT Xcalibrator 2 but I canĀ“t se that it will be possible to change these sensors?
Any one know something about this?

Thanks
Daniel
Old 03-29-2007, 11:31 AM
Johnnie D
2nd Gear Member

The XCal 2 has the ability to turn off the O2 sensors completly. Car runs fine and no codes pop up.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:35 PM
billyjo
2nd Gear Member

boy its hard to believe that a dealer would have this problem. If you are in the states and in mass for example, your car will fail inspection due to the o2 sensors not being on. also if your check engine light is on.The 05 gt has four sensors, one on the one in the driver side header two in the cats and one right above the passenger side cat. My nieghbor is a state trooper and i ask him questions on legal stuff and i asked about getting rid of the o2s and he would inpound a car that didnt have them, i do know this is true in cali also, so just be careful and make sure it works when you take delivery
Old 03-29-2007, 01:36 PM
spdbrake
1st Gear Member

Shorties do not require O2 sensor removal on the driver's side, The O2 on the pass side should have one bung welded to the New header for reinstall of the sensor. (The driver's side stays on the stock H-pipe)
(I mave the Driver/Pass info reversed as it has been two years since I installed my long tube Hookers).
Long tubes haveports for the O2 sensors on aft aft-most tube, and again at the collector.
I assume you have shorties since you mentioned ONE sensor.
Having shorties the only things that can go wrong is the prev owner did not re-connect the pass side O2 sensor. Or worse, could not get it disconnected (A ***** to get to)and removed the sensor without disconnecting the wiring first (twists the crap out of it and can cause wires to break and short out).
But if you have Long tubes:
1. The prev owner did notget Mil Eliminators for the check Engine issue. (Having Cat O2Eliminators tricks the aft sensors).
2.The Prev oner may have left one of the fwd sensors disconnected. (a real ***** to disconnect and connect + causes blood loss too).
3. The fwd O2 sensors have to stay operational (feed back to the computer rich/lean) the aft-of the cats can be turned off with a tuner. feed back to the computer for Cat operation only.
4. You can buy a code reader at Walmart for $60.00.
5. If you want to stay somewhat legal (Install aftermarket Cats in the Y area just fwd of the H-pipe section, you'll have to intall O2 cable extensions too.) While this is not CARB approved it will get you thru emissions sniffer testing. JBA sells the complete H-pipe with cats.
6. You need to post the codes you get, since they are different on the front sensor VS aft.
Hope this helps.........
Old 04-08-2007, 03:44 AM
Linde
1st Gear Member

Well, now the car is mine.
I now knew some more about the problem.

The forward 02 sensors is mounted on exhaust system, and the 2 rear 02ones are not mounted. BUT the cables are connected to the two connected ones.
The CEL light is on.

I have bought a SCT Xcalibrator 2 with a custom tune for my application.
Shipping time to Sweden is about 14 days so I need to wait now.
Do you gys think that will fix my problem.

This is done to the car, but it is never tuned.
Afraid Open Intake System - Summit Partnr: AID-450-172
Borla Cat-Back- Summit Partnr: BOR-140135
JBA Cat4ward Long Headers - Summit Partnr: JBA-6675SJT

Car runs smoth most of the time, sometimes the car not realy want but after a wile it roars.
Thanks
Daniel
Old 04-08-2007, 03:49 AM
Local Yokel
2nd Gear Member

Once you load the tune and disable the CEl lite it will be ok. It will not hurt the car and it will run fine. Have fun with the car!

Quick Reply: GT 05 heders problem