Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone else steering wheel shimmy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 12:35 PM
cerino2000
1st Gear Member

Default anyone else steering wheel shimmy?

I had a coupe that I bought used just for a couple of weeks. I brought home a brand new vert last week. Both of these cars have a shimmy in the steering wheel. What I mean by that is it gently wobble back and forth. It is slight, but it is there and worse when the car is cold. With the used coupe I just figured it was the product of 15k miles on the tires. With the brand new car doing it I am guessing that it has to do with the PZero tires since that is what they have in common. If you know what your steering wheel would do if you had a broken radial belt, it is something like that.

Anyone else experience this?
Old 04-04-2007, 12:38 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

Default RE: anyone else steering wheel shimmy?

yes...same thing....specially when i chamged my wheels
Old 04-04-2007, 12:40 PM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

It might just be road feel.....what car did you drive before getting the stang? Most of the vanilla sedans have steering systems that are assisted so heavily that you lose all road feel. I've driven nothing but sports cars for 5 years now so I don't notice anything strange and I have the same PZeros.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:45 PM
cerino2000
1st Gear Member

Bascho, I actually did consider that. My other car is a Nissan Titan Truck and then lots of GM vette's and F-body before that. Kinda why I am asking. Might just be used to wider front tires that absorb it better or something like that.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:11 PM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cerino2000

Bascho, I actually did consider that. My other car is a Nissan Titan Truck and then lots of GM vette's and F-body before that. Kinda why I am asking. Might just be used to wider front tires that absorb it better or something like that.
Does it happen on all road surfaces and at all speeds? Does it go away during braking or get worse? Do you feel any shaking in the seat?
Old 04-04-2007, 01:21 PM
cerino2000
1st Gear Member

Much more noticeableat slower speeds. No shaking in the seats, just in the steering wheel. I haven't paid attention to whether or not it is there under braking. Will have to check that out.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:32 PM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

I would go to a dealer and test drive a 3rd Mustang.....possibly with different tires. If it's still present thenI would say it's probably just road feel that wasn't noticeable in your truck. Good luck.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:43 PM
06VistaBlueGT
3rd Gear Member

Does the shimmy go away after the tires are run for a while? I have 19" Pirelli's as my summer tires, they flat spot badly when they sit for more than a day. The factory Pirelli's also flat spot but not to the extreme that my 19's do. If the shimmying goes away after about 10 minutes of driving, it's probably just the tires flat spotting.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:54 PM
Embalmer
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 06VistaBlueGT

Does the shimmy go away after the tires are run for a while? I have 19" Pirelli's as my summer tires, they flat spot badly when they sit for more than a day. The factory Pirelli's also flat spot but not to the extreme that my 19's do. If the shimmying goes away after about 10 minutes of driving, it's probably just the tires flat spotting.
I agree completely. I had the same problem with my 97 T-Bird. I ended up having the tires balanced on a Hunter Road Force balancer and it all but eliminated the problem. Read all about it here:
http://www.gsp9700.com
Old 04-04-2007, 02:20 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Its called bump steer. You will see it on rougher roads at lower speeds when braking. It will almost seem like the car is driving itself. If you have larger lower profile tire you will notice this more than at stock. Also if you lower your car you are changing the geometry of the suspension and this also contributes to bumpsteer. Steeda makes a bumpsteer kit to correct the suspension. You can get away with out having to get the kit as long as your steering problems are not that bad.

Quick Reply: anyone else steering wheel shimmy?