Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotating assembly,intake,cylinder heads

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 10:52 PM
pimp_n_performance

Default Rotating assembly,intake,cylinder heads

Hey guys, my first post. I'm new to Ford. Having been a GM enthusiast all my life, I've never been around Fords much. The latest generation of Stangs have finally commmanded my undivided attention. I am in the process of shopping for a preowned GT, something in the 05 to 07 years. Having owned a few very fast cars in my time( 600 + HP, fuel injected, supercharged, G and F body GM's )I expectno less from my new ride. I'm not looking to spend "Gigabucks" but I am preparedto spend upwards of 25,000 on performance alone. I'm looking to put about 15k into the motor (rotating assembly, heads, intake, exhaust, forced induction etc.) The goal is a fire breathing 600+ horses in a "daily driver" I don't want a "dragstrip only" type of ride. I want a 600 + HP car that sports all the creature comforts of a "daily driver" I hear that the stock engines are pretty solid in these cars, would pretty easily accommodateupto aboutmy intendedhorsepower goal. A couple of questions. How many horses do the stock bottom ends reliably live up to? What is the boost mechanism of choice for these cars ( Pro-charger, Vortec, Roush, Roots style or centrifugal? ) Turbo too much of a headache for these cars? ( space restrictions seem like an issue ) Valve sizes, cylinder head recommendations, cam profiles, intake systems, rotating assemblies, fuel systems, clutch, headers, exhaust chassis mods/frame stiffening.. etc etc..Any hints, tips, suggestions, or info to help in my endeavors would be greatly appreciated. (Please goeasy on me for taking so long to wake up and smell the coffee. Hey, we all deserve a second chance!) Look forward to hearing from you guys, thanks in advance.. Eggz.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:26 PM
ryterngki
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Rotating assembly,intake,cylinder heads

I'm not much of a gear head, but it sounds as if you are going to do some great things with your first Mustang. Hopefully there will be some others who know what they're talking about and help you out soon. Congrats.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:36 PM
DeStonn
4th Gear Member

The word is anything over 450 rwhp is borrowed time on the stock internals. There are people pushing more but since you are willing to spend the bucks make sure you change the pistons and rods before F/I. Happy modding
Old 04-07-2007, 12:56 AM
TheDarkPath
3rd Gear Member

Even with forged internals, i hear the block is limited to around 600hp. I'd go with a built shortblock with forged internals, D-1SC ProCharger, 3 core intercooler,15 psi,charge motion delete plates, high-flow catted mid-pipe, and then a few things would probably need to be upgraded (rearend, suspension, and maybe a T56 tranny).
Old 04-07-2007, 01:08 AM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

talk to the guys at powerhouse411.net or evolution performance or bamachips they will all be able to help you out and none of them will stear you in the wrong direction.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:08 AM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

Hi, I was a GM muscalecar guy in the old days myself. I would suggest getting one already done new. Like a Saleen or a Roush Mustang. Saleen has different performance levels & price. But you can get one with a supercharger all dialed in and under warrenty. Roush has the same. And these will hold very good car value over the years. Or step up and get the Shelby GT500. But you may want to get you hands dirty and do it yourself, nothing wrong with that either. It's costly whatever way you do it.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:45 PM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

I agree with Jay, if you have that kind of money then go get a GT500. For $600 in bolt on's you can get 500rwhp easy.
Old 04-07-2007, 12:54 PM
Rupp
3rd Gear Member

From all of the suggestions It might be cheaper to just buy a different car altogether. So far the suspension and drive train need to be replaced and will all of that "fit" under the hood and fenders? Reading this is amazing. All of these mods would have to cost $15 - $20,000 add that to the price of a stang ~ $28,000 and you could buy another car for $43,000 - $48,000. That's a boat load of money to drop in a stang event if you do love it.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:18 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

even if you bought a GT and started modding, i hear the roush stuff keeps you under warranty. may not be the best for HP gains available but at least you know you have quality stuff.