Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quest for 475 rwhp

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 03:20 AM
TheDarkPath
3rd Gear Member

Default Quest for 475 rwhp

I've been doing a lot of thinking recently and I'm not leaning towards forced induction (in the future).
After some research, I'm liking the Kenny Bell 2.6L supercharger. I plan on doing things right the first time so i'd like some input on what upgrades I'm going to need besides the intercooled supercharger kit from Kenny Bell with the boost-a-pump.
Right now, my list consists of:
-4.6L forged rotating assembly
-Comp cams (not sure which stage)
-3.73 gears
-built transmission with stall converter
-aluminum driveshaft

How much boost can I run on 93 octane gas? I want to stay away from having to use race gas but maybe have a tune for it when I go to the track. Will I need anything else to get to 475rwhp reliably?
Old 04-07-2007, 03:39 AM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Quest for 475 rwhp

some time ago I e-mailed Kenny Bell and this is what I got
this is the conversation
Me
I know if I'm able to afford the S/C it will be quite a while but I would like to be very informed
I know the 2.8 is for the cobra and the 2.6 for the 3V 4.6L 05+ but would the 2.8 fit and work on the 3V
KB
The 2.8 will fit the manifolds for the 05-06 mustang but it will be overkill. The 2.6 will provide plenty of boost for the stock 3v bottom end.

Thank you for the interest in Kenne Bell Superchargers!
Me
Thank you for the info
the reason I asked is I know with a larger S/C it will not heat the air as much for the same PSI and it also wouldn't have to be turned as fast for the same PSI
KB
Your welcome, If you did allot work to the bottom end then you could use the 2.8, but for a stock engine the 2.6 will get you 9psi at 490 rear wheel horsepower. The 2.6 is just getting started!!

Thank you!
Kenne Bell
Me
thank you for the info
what would you estimate the RWHP of 10psi on the stock motor and would it be safe or should the inerds be replased at 10psi or at what psi should the inerds be replaced
KB
Every engine is different, but around 10psi you should be around 510-515 at the rear wheels. The stock innards can safely handle the 490 but 500 and above is pushing it. This is all based on a manual, the automatic is considerably less, about 40 horse power. The only issue you may have with the stick is the clutch, we would recommend a centerforce "dual friction".
Thank you !
Kenne Bell
Me
thank you
I drive an auto
do you have an idea of how much and which innards need replacing so that I can set the goal as to what I want to do
If money allows I want to go to 550 RWHP but only if it can be done on 93 octane
KB
With an automatic, you will need to get a hold of modular power hose, they would be able to help you with that. The connecting rods and pistons are at highest risk but you start getting into the 500rwhp and the crankshaft becomes an issue.

Thank's
Kenne Bell
Me
Ok so connecting rods, pistons, and crank would be the only parts to really worry about
would it be possable to do this on 93 oct because if and when I manage to do this I wouldn't want to have to run to the track for every gallon of gas
KB
No you would need to run at least 100 octane over 490 horsepower. If you want to run it like that, I would suggest buying a pulley wrench and the other pulley for the high boost. That way you can run around town on pump gas and then when you want to race it put the other pulley on and go! You would have to have a race tune and a street tune though.

Kenne Bell!
Old 04-07-2007, 03:42 AM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

if you do the 5.0 kit and the KB and lower compression pistions I'm sure you could get to 550
the boost levels in the last post were with stock compression and a lower compression pistion would allow more boost
and the 5.0 stroker kit would also allow more boost at the same comppression ratio
Old 04-07-2007, 03:51 AM
TheDarkPath
3rd Gear Member

Hmm, might be worth the extra money go get stroked at the same time as opposed to just forged 4.6 internals but only if i can get pistons that'll lower the compression. If I go this route, I'll probably have the street and race tune and the 2 pullies to match.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:55 AM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

before proceding I'd check with KB and modular power hose
kennebell@kennebell.net
Old 04-07-2007, 10:23 AM
rattsj
2nd Gear Member

See my sig for your quest. Runs on 93 octane, I also have the Automatic. KB9.5 lb pulley gives you 12.11psi of booston the 2.6 liter. For street power your stock block would probably survive that level of boost awhile with a good tune. Just depends how far you want to take it with different pulley's for mad power fun.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:02 PM
TheDarkPath
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rattsj

See my sig for your quest. Runs on 93 octane, I also have the Automatic. KB9.5 lb pulley gives you 12.11psi of booston the 2.6 liter. For street power your stock block would probably survive that level of boost awhile with a good tune. Just depends how far you want to take it with different pulley's for mad power fun.
How long have you been running this setup? Sounds about like what I'd like to do but my main concern is the tranny. I've heard past 450rwhp, it's a matter of time before it gives in. Once I get this goal met, i'll probably want to up the boost at some point to go over 500rwhp. At that point, the built tranny will almost be a necessity.

I've heard the stock block can hold 600rwhp or so as long as it has forged internals. Can anyone clear this up for me?
Old 04-07-2007, 01:10 PM
jdback19
4th Gear Member

No track and dyno day for me dark path!! Engine exploded last night. I recommend forged internals.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:22 PM
TheDarkPath
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jdback19

No track and dyno day for me dark path!! Engine exploded last night. I recommend forged internals.
I saw the post...made me throw up a little. Forged internals are a definite future purchase...now i'm debating on a built shortblock before the FI. Man I was so looking forward to see what you put down at the track. How long do you think it'll be before she's up and running?
Old 04-08-2007, 10:51 AM
rattsj
2nd Gear Member

"How long have you been running this setup? Sounds about like what I'd like to do but my main concern is the tranny. I've heard past 450rwhp, it's a matter of time before it gives in. Once I get this goal met, i'll probably want to up the boost at some point to go over 500rwhp. At that point, the built tranny will almost be a necessity.

I've heard the stock block can hold 600rwhp or so as long as it has forged internals. Can anyone clear this up for me? "

I have had everything in since August 2006. IMO the stock block will hold well past 450 unlike others say. BUT... I doubt they'll handle 600rwhp for long.Now 600bhp is reached all the time. Anywayif you can afford to replacethe block now it will save you a headache in the future. Just my opinion though. Alsohigh quality3vpro built blocks are cheaper than blowers. So it made sense to me to go for it. Also you get to keep the stocker. I intend on tinkering with mine. I'm thinking about a big bore stroker assy. We'll see no rush but fun to think about.

As for the Tranny, so far so good. One thing is certain. The Torque the KB producesis too great for the rear differential. I am on pins and needles waiting for thatto go boom. The tranny is holding uplike a superstar right now though. I think that flushing it regularly will help lengthen its lifespan. Clutch pacpieces are floating around alot morebut that comes with the territory. I believe the key is keeping an eye on fluid levels (the PA deep pan with dip stick is a great addition) and maintenance maintenance maintenance. Sooner or later I'll have to rebuild. Thats guaranteed. But if I can get 5 years of hard and fun driving out of her I'll be completely satisfied.

Quick Reply: Quest for 475 rwhp