Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i keep frying my PIE's

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 04:56 PM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

Default i keep frying my PIE's

Whats goin on here? im on my third PIE ipod connector since christmas... they keep going bad at random times. For instance, the last one was working fine, i parked my car, turned off my ipod, then the car. got out, came back no more than 5 minutes later, and my radio said "no aux audio" which crutchfield identified as a burned up unit, and they sent me another one. Why does this keep happening?
Old 04-08-2007, 06:40 PM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

Default RE: i keep frying my PIE's

wired correctly?
Old 04-08-2007, 06:42 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

who can say really....but maybe it's a voltage
spike.....putting a coil (inductor) in line with
the 12vdc supply, might help.....

Old 04-08-2007, 07:57 PM
2GKT5
2nd Gear Member

What!?!?! I have this exact same problem. I had my local reputable radio shop install it too so I know its done right.

Lester, when it said "no aux audio" do you immediately order a new one? Do you wait a little bit? The reason I ask is because I've had it happen to me over 100 times, and the only way to get it to work again is to shut off the car for an extended period of time (usually an hour or so but sometimes its over night) and viola, it works again.

Because it happens to me so often, I've come to the conclusion that its heat related. It never does it when the car is cold, only when its hot, but even at that its still very random. I've had it go out after a 15 minute drive, 30 minute drive, but didn't go out after a 2 hour one. I'm just as perplexed as you.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. If not, I'm going to take it back once I get some free time.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:24 PM
techmanBDsStang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: LesteR723

Whats goin on here? im on my third PIE ipod connector since christmas... they keep going bad at random times. For instance, the last one was working fine, i parked my car, turned off my ipod, then the car. got out, came back no more than 5 minutes later, and my radio said "no aux audio" which crutchfield identified as a burned up unit, and they sent me another one. Why does this keep happening?
It's not a burned up unit. AT least it wasn't for me. There seems to be a flaw on the unit. It seems as the unit gets locked up and stops communicating through the can bus as that is what it is hooked up to. I had the same problem happen to me. The soloution was to unplug the power connector to the PIE and plug it back in. Then it worked fine. It had happened to me a few times.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:16 AM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

yeah its wired correctly, hard to do it wrong-- a connection in the back of the radio, a connection to the PIE, a 12v and a ground. i have tried waiting and i also have to wait for the package to come so yeah, time didn't help. i just installed my new one and it still says no aux audio which is really confusing me. i'll try the power thing when i get the chance...
Old 04-09-2007, 02:56 PM
razol
1st Gear Member

Mine also does this once in a while. I usually shutt off the car and it suddenly works again. The first time it hapeened I was pretty freaked out, now I seemed resigned to accpet it kind of like re-booting MS Windows every now and again. Maybe the PIE connector runs on MS Windows.