Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Launching an automatic

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 03:44 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

Default Launching an automatic

I posted this to another thread, but nobody answered me, so I guess everyone was tired of that thread, LOL. So I decided to re-ask in a new thread.

I have an '07 GT automatic. I don't do WOT starts very often, but the few times I have done it, I just floor it from idle with the TCS on, and get about a 1 second squawk and a lot of acceleration. No wheel hop. So, if I were to turn off TCS and then start with a preload, how much more acceleration would I get? What RPM should I preload to?

I'm not interested in smoking my tires, just the maximum acceleration. I'm happily married, so I don't need to impress the girls, and I have better things to spend my money on than tires.

Old 04-11-2007, 05:55 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Launching an automatic

2000RPM will give you a nice launch, maybe some wheel hop maybe not?? Some do some don't
Old 04-11-2007, 06:02 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

So, what I'd do is to hold down the brake and then rev it to 2K. Then to launch, lift my foot off the brake and at the same time floor the accelerator? Sorry I'm so ignorant of such things. I've never owned a hot car before.[:@]

Nice color car, BTW.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:27 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

You got it!!
Old 04-11-2007, 07:18 PM
pxdig
2nd Gear Member

does this hurt the tranny or any other component ????

Sorry for the dumb question but this is the first auto I have ever owned ....
Old 04-11-2007, 07:33 PM
Jays Mustang
3rd Gear Member

It's called power braking. Just rev to a comfortable RPM. (tires aren't spinning & pushing the car) hold it until ready to launch. Floor it & remove foot off brake at same time. If you go to the dragstrip, do thisand go on the last Yellow light and you should get a good reaction time.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:34 PM
BigDave
3rd Gear Member

It will not hurt the trans at all. Just don't hold it there long. It will heat up the fluid pretty quick. Back in the day there were some torque converters that would balloon if brake torqued for too long, but I have not heard it from any modern car. It is actually easier on the driveline than a manual or trans-braked car cause the driveline is already loaded. Hard shocks are hard on parts, especially hardened street gears.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:56 PM
bboren
2nd Gear Member

yes, that is exactly how you do it. i dont think you can hold it past about 2450 or so because of the stock torque converter. you can also shift 1-2-3-D for a little quicker launch too.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:07 PM
shaners90lxhatch
3rd Gear Member

I wouldn't suggest manually shifting a tranny like this. It just doesn't have the same effect as an older, fully hydraulic trans would.
I haven't had a chance to test something I heard today out yet (all new stangs I have driven have been manuals) ......but I guess the traction control will not activate if the module sees the brake activated. Instead, it will allow you to spin the rear tires in a power brake until it sees the front wheel speed sensors indicate that the vehicle is moving. Then, it instantly applies the rear brakes to make the wheels grab. Essentially, you could go from large amounts of wheelspin to a decent launch just by releasing the brake......... I don't know though. I was 90% sure that this was not the case - all the way down to the brakes being the traction control maker and not the engine shutting injectors down. Anyone tried this? *Full throttle with brake slightly applied with traction control activated and then launch*