Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turbo and supercharge?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 04:17 PM
07mustanggt
2nd Gear Member

Default turbo and supercharge?

Would it be possible to both supercharge and turbocharge the car at the same time and get even more performance? Like say the supercharger was the Saleen and then you went and put a turbo kit on like Hellion, would they work the same or would each hurt the other's performance? I dont really want to do this, but thought maybe it was a way to make more power? I heard a guy talking about a car that was both turboed and supercharged and it ran awesome.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:49 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

Default RE: turbo and supercharge?

First off, i'm sure a whipple running 14psi will be more than enough power for you and will definately be pushing your stock internals. Secondly adding both is not nearly an adequate way to make power efficiently or safely and isn't done very easily.

Mainly understand what you are saying has no point since our stock internals really shouldn't push 475rwhp although some people have been running over 500rwhp and haven't broke yet. Remember this is with just a blower, so don't think you need both because one or the other will be plenty of power.

-Jeff
Old 04-15-2007, 05:17 PM
teksp0rt
3rd Gear Member

I assume if it could be done, it would be done to reduce any lag in the car, right? Isn't that the purpose of a twin turbo system. The smaller turbine spins up to speed very quickly, reducing lag, while the bigger one takes over at higher engine speeds to provide more boost.

or was he referring to this:

The term "turbocharger" is a shortened version of "turbo-supercharger," its official name.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:49 PM
06SaLeEn
I ♥ Acer

The tuning would be not worth it. I think it has been done and the increase of hp is not worth the cost or time. If you want to spool the Turbo faster then add a shot of n20.

pick one or the other. With the cost of both and tuning, you could build a stroker engine, with forged internals and have a turbo or s/c and be one bad as* car.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:03 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07mustanggt

Would it be possible to both supercharge and turbocharge the car at the same time and get even more performance? Like say the supercharger was the Saleen and then you went and put a turbo kit on like Hellion, would they work the same or would each hurt the other's performance? I dont really want to do this, but thought maybe it was a way to make more power? I heard a guy talking about a car that was both turboed and supercharged and it ran awesome.
Talk about a nose heavy, hotter than hell under-hood temps and really over-kill for any presumed benefits waste of time...... have you been reading old issues of Hot Rod magazine? Remember those old wild drag cars of the 60's that ran twin engined, twinsupercharged andall wheel drive? Was all just for "shock" value. A properly developed stout modular V-8 with either type of forced induction would easily make 700-800rwhp(probably more with proper octane, tune and short-period elevated boost levels). Well, I shouldn't sound so harsh, you did have the conjones to ask
Old 04-15-2007, 06:13 PM
bl1nk
5th Gear Member

They have already done it, and refined it. Its called the twincharger. Volkswagon makes them and uses them in their Golf I believe... And no, it doesnt in produce some massive horsepower number like youre thinking... Its still complex and expensive, and it was developed for the reason tek mentioned (to provide instant, low end power while the big ole turbo spools.) There are still better solutions though, like the others said, twin turbos, different types of superchargers, bigger block, etc etc. In other words, its not worth the money unless you have spare rolls laying around the house... even then I could think of better uses.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:40 AM
jrm1900
2nd Gear Member

Both SC and Turbo make power by forcing air into your engine and most of the kits out there can blow your engine apart way before reaching its full potential at about 800 - 1000hp,I dont see the point of putingboth systems together to do the same thing, unless you are talking aboutsome engineering exercise.
Topfuel dragsters make 8000HP with a single supercharger, probably more but they are limited to 8200 rpm, once you reach this level you could think about what is next.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:42 AM
teksp0rt
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jrm1900

Both SC and Turbo make power by forcing air into your engine and most of the kits out there can blow your engine apart way before reaching its full potential at about 800 - 1000hp,I dont see the point of putingboth systems together to do the same thing, unless you are talking aboutsome engineering exercise.
Topfuel dragsters make 8000HP with a single supercharger, probably more but they are limited to 8200 rpm, once you reach this level you could think about what is next.
i want my stang to put out 8000HP!!! lol.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:20 AM
darkstang69
1st Gear Member

well theres an sti with twinturbo and a supercharger also a blair with 8 turbos its called inciner8tor
Old 04-16-2007, 04:23 AM
darkstang69
1st Gear Member

chevy belair sorry bout my spelling

Quick Reply: turbo and supercharge?