Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To answer all Pulley Installation ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 12:25 AM
NastNaso
2nd Gear Member

Default To answer all Pulley Installation ?'s

So after seeing a lot of question concerning U/D Pulleys I hope this helps to clear any confusion. For the record I am just an at home garage mechanic with basic tools so anyone can do this it took me about an hour.

Step 1: Remove Intake (to do so remove hose clamp from throttle body and 10mm bolt on intake filter box, also remove the sensor and vaccumn line)

Step 2: Remove Electric cooling fan and accessories from radiator. To do so you need to unbolt 2 5/16" bolts from the fan and 1 on the power steering fluid and 2 from the oil thingie (sorry brain fart)

Step3: Loosen four bolt from water pump pulley (12mm socket and Harmonic balancer bolt 18mm socket) You may need some penetrating fluid on the balancer also use an impact gun.

Step 4: Use 1/2 drive rathcet to loosen belt tensioner and remove belt

Step 5: Remove water pump pulley and install balancer puller. (this is the only part that is kind of a pain but take your time and it comes off easy.)

Step 6: Once you have the old pulleys off you need to cut the lower right hand bolt from the alternator or it will destroy the belt. I used a air cut off tool buthacksaw would work as well

Step 7: Now you can install the new waterpump pulley and balancer. The pulley is an easy four bolt hook up and the balancer uses the stock bolt just press it on and use the impact gun to pull it in. I used the gun to get the balancer seated then took the bolt out toi relieve the stress and then tightened it again.

Step 8: Once everything is on place the belt back on and do the reverse of the previous removal of parts.

I noticed a difference with the installion of the pulleys nothing great but there was some gain. I hope this mayhelp any one havin gquestions about installing these and if anyone has any furthewr questions I can answer them.

Old 04-23-2007, 12:48 AM
jaded seconds
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: To answer all Pulley Installation ?'s

just by looking over it, it seems a little advanced, but i'm sure i could do it, if i had all the right tools plus an experienced person helping.

a while back,i tried to help a bud out with a pulley installation... it didn't go to well. haha.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:54 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

http://www.musclecarblog.com/story-4...rdrive_pulleys

much easier install. You dont have to remove all the stuff in front actually. It will make it easier though.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:05 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

great write up, thanks for all the detailed photos

Old 04-23-2007, 01:16 AM
jaded seconds
3rd Gear Member

just as a reference, sifted through the link and now i'm going to list (mostly copy and paste)thetools needed:

1.) wratchet + sockets
2.) half-inch socket driver or breaker bar
3.) impact wrench, might need other impact tools
4.) torque wrench
5.) three prong puller
6.) high temperature silicone sealer
7.) a pic or memorization of the belt routing
8.) some elbow grease, muscle and the directions

comment if i'm missing anything.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:36 AM
NastNaso
2nd Gear Member

The other link that was listed only doesn't have to remove all the stuff in the front because they were able to remove the crank bolt by hand. I found you have to use a impact gun which means your removing the suff inthe front. but llike I said it only take five minutes and 5 bolts so why not.