Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XM hookup

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 11:44 AM
ajc
1st Gear Member

Default XM hookup

Will myXM portable satellite unit workin theauto jack with the shaker 500 radio? I think I would select the AUX on the radio.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:48 PM
jettaflavor
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: XM hookup

Any of the xm units will work.

All you need is a way to give it power (either hardwire or cigarette plug)
A way to run the atennae wire ( under carpets, seals, etc)

and a male/male headphone jack (stereo).

You can go to radio shack and ask for it. It's what everyone is using these days to connect their non-ipod MP3 players into their aux inputs on their vehicles.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:54 PM
ajc
1st Gear Member

Thanks - I like my XM better than Sirius.

ORIGINAL: jettaflavor

Any of the xm units will work.

All you need is a way to give it power (either hardwire or cigarette plug)
A way to run the atennae wire ( under carpets, seals, etc)

and a male/male headphone jack (stereo).

You can go to radio shack and ask for it. It's what everyone is using these days to connect their non-ipod MP3 players into their aux inputs on their vehicles.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:36 PM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

Here's some pics of my XM SkyFi install...

Ideally, I'd have run the antenna wire behind the dash, and the AUX male-to-male headphone line behind it as well, but I wasn't sure how the dash came apart, and rather than prying, I used the little stick on tabs that will come off with some prying and Goof Off.

Anyway...Here's the interior, mounted between the vents:

This shot shows the antenna wiring going between the door, outside to the front of the car...It's routed under the door sill, behind the plastic going up to the side of the dash, and then snakes underneath the rubber piece displayed in the right of the shot:

Then the last shot is of my Micro Antenna, and where I have it mounted on the car. The rest of the antenna wire runs down through the channel next to the windshield and the A-Pillar, on the outside of the car...You can barely see it snake down.

Again, not ideal, but I DID manage to make sure that the cords were all black, so that it would be less obtrusive, visually...And it didn't involve me tearing up panels to get it to work!
Old 04-25-2007, 10:00 PM
jettaflavor
I ♥ Acer

dude, the is the sloppiest install I've ever seen.

show some pride, man. do it right the first time.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:32 AM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jettaflavor

dude, the is the sloppiest install I've ever seen.

show some pride, man. do it right the first time.
So, Mr. Pro Installer, how would you do it? I mean, come on, if you're going to criticize, I want to hear how you'd do it on a budget of $20 and no shop manual.

Old 04-26-2007, 06:28 AM
davesiar
2nd Gear Member

This is how I installed mine. All the wires are hidden, and all it costed me was my time.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:41 AM
jettaflavor
I ♥ Acer

Sprzout –

First off, don’t get snippy.

Secondly, you don’t have to spend a lot of money for a good install. Instead, you gotta spend some time researching and being creative.

Power:

First thing, is get rid of that cigarette lighter. You can easily tap into just about any electral source throughout the mustang interior to power a skyfi. A 10-pack of wiretaps will cost you under $4 at radio shack. Be creative and do research – you’ll find there’s areas to “tap” the electrical most anywhere in the car.

Sound:

You need to get the aux male-to-male wire from your SkyFi, to your interior center console. I say, if you must, take the time to rip out the console. It’s not that hard (and if you search these forums, you’ll see some great PDF files. I swear, it’s only a couple screws)

Antennae:

In my opinion, this belong on the trunk of your car. Time to go get some zip ties ( once again, under $4 for a pack) and run the antennae wire from the inside cabin, through the fold-down seats, up in the trunk, and on then onto the trunk lid (just near the back windshield. Use zip ties to locate the wire in areas where it won’t get crunched.

Finally – and I say this…

Put the dang SkyFi in the center console. Yes, out of sight, out of mind. How often do you change channels? Did it come with a remote? Having that honkin’ thing on your dash is distracting.. Make it stealth, make it cool, and most importantly – have fun (And learn!) while taking your car apart!

And no, I'm not a pro installer.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:54 AM
awakeinAZ
3rd Gear Member

Here is mine. Got the antenna wire hidden where the seat belt comes out and power/audio I lifted the center console and ran wires outside.I change channels a LOT!

[IMG]local://upfiles/44056/B13E2CFD1DDC4987A8227497DDD88C1E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/44056/2144B48987114F54AA432D8D36C2965A.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-27-2007, 02:28 PM
ajc
1st Gear Member

My GT comes with Sirius. Would I be able to install XM using the AUX jack? Will the XM bypass the Sirius?

Quick Reply: XM hookup