Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are all X-pipes created equal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 03:32 AM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Default Are all X-pipes created equal?

I have noticed that there is a large price range for X-pipes.

Is there a difference in the part of the X pipe that makes up the connection between the pipes? Is the hole between the pipes of a standard size? Is there a way to tell if the pipes actually cross over or are just separate pipes joined in an X shape?

Lastly if there are major differences between certain companies X pipes does that contribute to the sound difference, meaning if I put an O/R X pipe from UPR, will it sound different from a pypes o/r x pipe or from a magna flow o/r x pipe?
Old 04-29-2007, 03:53 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Default RE: Are all X-pipes created equal?

If nothing else was changed and you used any of the above mentioned x-pipes I don't think you would hear any difference in sound. If you go from a h- pipe to an x-pipe you will hear a difference in sound but I like the h-pipe better. I think so of the price differences maybe a difference in the quality of materials used and the company that selld the x-pipes. Just like anything else you pay for brand names...will there be a HP increase?....not anything that you feel just maybe in the sound of the car and your perception of how fast it is! JMO J
Old 04-29-2007, 04:35 AM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

So is every X pipe a true X-type cross over pipe or does it mean the pipes are welded together in an X shape with no exhange of gases?

The reason I ask is that some companies say they offer a true X cross over pipe and some just say X pipe. Are they one in the same?

So there will be no difference in sound between an O/R UPR, bassani, magna flow, pypes, SLP X pipe if all the rest of the exhaust components are the same? There is no difference in the diameter or area of connected pipe between all these? I would imagine that if one company has a larger connection between the pipes that it would affect the sound. Kinda like how a prochamber sounds different from a H pipe (they both have the H shape except the prochamber has a bigger connection).
Old 04-29-2007, 02:39 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

any other exhaust experts wanna help me out?
Old 04-29-2007, 04:10 PM
MikesTorchedGT
2nd Gear Member

Im not 100 percent surebut i dont think there is any difference expect for maybe the quality and name brand...im sure thats all your paying for. as for perfomance and sound i cant imagine them being different at all. thats why i bought a mac x-pipe and not a bassani.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:12 PM
MikesTorchedGT
2nd Gear Member

o and i wouldnt get an x pipe with your slp lm...thats just crazy loud
Old 04-29-2007, 04:30 PM
Debo07GT

I purchased a pypes o/r x-pipe. I can tell you that theirs is a true x-pipe. Its a good quality pipe. I bought it through brenspeed and the price was great.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:33 PM
MikesTorchedGT
2nd Gear Member

what you should do is call a company like brenspeed (who are very customer friendly) and just ask them....since they sell more then one brand im sure they can tell you the differences if any at all....
Old 04-29-2007, 06:12 PM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

thanks guys.

Brent gave me some great tunes so someone there should know a thing or two about their x pipes.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:08 PM
Whiteflash454
3rd Gear Member

I got Flowmasters on right now, thinking about getting a H pipe or X pipe but dont want it to be annoying loud , which pipe u think im safe with based on all u guys knowledge... and experience

Quick Reply: Are all X-pipes created equal?