Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Silverhorse Racing 1/4 Window Louvers, long term?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 07:41 PM
HDmstng
1st Gear Member

Default Silverhorse Racing 1/4 Window Louvers, long term?

Granted they haven't been out very long, if you've had them for a while...

I have an unpainted set, but when I had the misfortune of having to have body work done on my car, the bodyshop guys weren't all that enthusiastic about painting them. They were worried about expansion and contraction of the material due to being out in the sun and that messing up the paint. Plus I'm pretty picky about my finish and they didn't think I'd be happy with the paint lines near the clear parts of the louvers. And they mentioned leaking issues.

1) Any leaking issues?
2) Did you buy them painted, or have them painted at a local shop?
3) How well does the paint match the body (metal body vs. polycarbonate 1/4 window louver?)
4) When painted, how well do the lines of the non-painted portion hold up where it's left clear so you can see through the quarter window louver?
5) Early on they may look great, but how about a year or two from now? How is it for body kits in general?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and input!
Old 05-11-2007, 07:53 PM
LegallyTorchRED
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Silverhorse Racing 1/4 Window Louvers, long term?

I've always been a little pessimistic about those louvers. First of all, I could "give a crap" about parking a caron top ofthem, because, they don't have to be that strong. I never liked the idea of removing the rear window, to install them. Nor, do I like the idea of painting "clear plastic"
Outta of the box, they are hot,................. long term, they are NOT.
I'll keep my ROUSH LOUVERS , thank you very much.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:56 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i love the silverhorse louvers and they'll probably
be my next mod. I hope they're holding up, for
those who already have them.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:11 PM
pegasusphototx
2nd Gear Member

I can see some areas for improvement. I think there should have been a 'lip' at the edge of where the painted part is and the clear meets it. This would have provided a nice recessed area that would give it a more finished look. I also think they may be a little deeper than the 66 louvers, thus with their height being shorter due to the need to fit in the window opening, they appear a bit too triangular. I also would like to have had the screening that goes over the see through part and another lip at the edge so that they were more 'finished out' like the 66 louvers.

I commend SHR on a fine product, and I don't think that the lexan is going to be an issue in the long run. Airplane canopies are made of that material... if it's good enough for a jet fighter, it's good enough for my car.

-danny
Old 05-11-2007, 08:18 PM
RUFDRAFT
3rd Gear Member

I've had them on about 2 months now.

Zero issues.

Millions of compliments.

They got them right - out of the box.

ruf

[IMG]local://upfiles/54696/9EF270EE959445EFBE264918963B5B28.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-11-2007, 08:18 PM
7SiNz
1st Gear Member

I got the louvers your talking about, painted. The color matches up perfect and I have had no problems. No leaking, etc etc...I had the body shop that installed my new bumper also install the louvers. Interesting that when I brought them in it was the first time anyone at the body shop had seen them. They were a big hit. : )
Old 05-11-2007, 08:21 PM
petepete
5th Gear Member

nobody has had them long enough to tell you long term issues. Id wait 4 more months on those louvers so that the people with them see all seasons with them except fall. then you will know if their good or not.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:29 PM
redfireshaker06
4th Gear Member

First of all, everyone and there mom has Roush louvers. Held on by 3 screws and double sided tape? lol. No one could give a crap about what you say on anything because all you ever do is talk ****. Its lexan, what do you think your louvers are. Plastic. Whats the difference betweentinted clear plastic and black plastic? Its still plastic.I am still wondering whatmakes them not long term? You know so much, explain yourself. They will not leak. Its held in place by the same stuff holding the window in. The only way they leak is if you don't know what you are doing putting them in. You can not like them, but damn if I don't get compliments from everyone on then. I have made people remove there wonderful stick on ones for these. But hey, they are crap right? I am the first set put on a car, not painted by his person because I wanted mine ASAP.

Why be worried about a lip? No one should be up rubbing on your car anyways. Its for looks not for everyone to say oh look, theres a paint line. And for everyone worried about holding up? Why wouldn't they. The point of the car parking on them is to prove they are stronger than the glass.

ORIGINAL: LegallyTorchRED

I've always been a little pessimistic about those louvers. First of all, I could "give a crap" about parking a caron top ofthem, because, they don't have to be that strong. I never liked the idea of removing the rear window, to install them. Nor, do I like the idea of painting "clear plastic"
Outta of the box, they are hot,................. long term, they are NOT.
I'll keep my ROUSH LOUVERS , thank you very much.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:31 PM
redfireshaker06
4th Gear Member

This is one sexy bitch right there. Yeah, they are a little recessed because it was the VERY first set installed permanetly

Old 05-11-2007, 08:43 PM
HDmstng
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: redfireshaker06

Why be worried about a lip? No one should be up rubbing on your car anyways. Its for looks not for everyone to say oh look, theres a paint line. And for everyone worried about holding up? Why wouldn't they.
Hey redfireshaker, was hoping to hear from you since you did get the first set. As for the lip, I think it would be more for a nice transition like pegasus posted about. The bodyshop guys I took mine too weren't sure where to put the tape for a nice transition between painted and clear area. And that leads to the issue of longevity if a chip forms at that point and continues to grow.

You also mentioned yours were installed permanently, did they use a different sealing material?

Quick Reply: Silverhorse Racing 1/4 Window Louvers, long term?