Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need to bleed after coolant change?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 03:53 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Default Do I need to bleed after coolant change?

Seriously now..

I found some documents here on the forums on bleeding, but I keep reading that it might not be needed if you pour slowly and eliminate bubbles?

Any tips?

BTW, planning to drain, fill with only water to dilute leftover coolant, and drain again. Then use a 30% coolant, 1 1/2 bottles of hyper-lube (great results in aluminum protection tests) and the rest water. I live in AZ so I'm not worried about freezing.

Thanks for any help. Going to do it today!

By the way if anyone has trouble finding Motorcraft's Gold premium coolant that is recommended by Ford, then you can use Valvoline's Zerex's G-05 coolant which meets the Ford WSS-M97B51-A1 spec.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:58 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Do I need to bleed after coolant change?

b
Old 05-13-2007, 12:25 AM
Mountain Mustang
1st Gear Member

I would highly recomend mixing to the coolant manufacturers recomendation. If not mixed to the proper ratio, you won't getthe proper cooling. Most recomend a 50/50 mix of coolant and water. No sense in taking a chance!

MM
Old 05-13-2007, 12:32 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

I added a product from "Greased Lightening" which apparently coats the the cooling system with PTFE. Seemed to bea good idea. At the time I found out the "overflow" tank is not just an overflow tank, but an incremental part of the cooling system. Don't think you need to worry about air bubbles.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:50 AM
Vista_Blue_GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mountain Mustang

I would highly recomend mixing to the coolant manufacturers recomendation. If not mixed to the proper ratio, you won't getthe proper cooling. Most recomend a 50/50 mix of coolant and water. No sense in taking a chance!

MM
actually plain water is a much better coolant than 50/50 water/antifreeze

antifreeze actually really sucks as a coolant...it is just in there so during the winter when it starts or you have like a cold spell outside and the temp gets below 32 degrees you dont crack your block

and when you buy antifreeze you can get a hydrommeter that will tell you how cold your antifreeze/water mixture will get before freezing
Old 05-13-2007, 02:23 AM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

Vista Blue I hate to tell that coolant does a lot more than just keep your block from freezing. You should never run straight water, especially in an engine with aluminum components. Coolant also has anti-corrosive additives and rubber lubricants that keep your engine from corroding from the inside out, and it keeps things such as your water pump seal lubricated to prevent failure. Alwaysfollow the manufacturers requirements and make sure the coolant you use carries the proper rating for your car. It's even better if you can also use purified water as your mixer as most of the minerals should be removed. The purer the water the better to make your motor last as long as possible. I was a service manager in a dealer for ten years, I've seenextensive corrosive damage to engines that belonged to owners whonever refilled the system with coolant.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:34 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Whoa everyone calm down!

Anti-freeze is poor at cooling. If it was good, then we'd just run straight anti-freeze!

Water is great at cooling, but can freeze. If it didn't freeze, we'd just use straight water!

Remember, anti-freeze + water is what makes up what mankind has come to call 'coolant'.

Engines, especially aluminum ones like ours, can corrode pretty easily. So we mix anti-freeze, which also contains a boatload of additives, into our water. The 50/50 mix, however, is meant to defer freezing. If you live where it doesn't freeze, then you only need about 25% antifreeze to water. This gives you the needed protection of anti-freeze witha larger amount of the awesomecooling of water.

Hyper-lube is a coolant additive. It is rated extremely highly for protecting, specifically, aluminum. Its possibly to run this combined with water and NO antifreeze and get even better protection, and because there would be like 94% water you'd also get amazing cooling.

So why would an arizonan use any anti-freeze at all? The positive effects of combination-protection. Hyper-lube and straight water gives excellent protection and awesome cooling, but if you give up some water and coolingby adding a little anti-freeze in, the protection inside anti-freeze combined with Hyper-lube will make for the best combination possible. Oh, and never forget that the anti-freeze is what gives you the Ford specs adherence! (Not to mention the right color in case a tech takes a glance towards the resovoir!)

Two notes to remember:

Always use distilled water! People think if they frequently change their coolant that they can use tap water. No! It only takes days, or less, for the minerals and bad stuff in tap water to latch onto your pipes and cause some corrosion or just plain clutter. Use distilled water.

Secondly, DO NOT USE WATER WETTER! Water Wetter is a well known coolant additive, like hyper-lube, but it is old-school and EXTREMELY ineffecient at protecting aluminum. If you use Water Wetter to thin water then go ahead, but you still need the full amount of protective anti-freeze with it. Water Wetter is alot like Amsoil; it was great in the day but has been passed up by modern technology. Like amsoil, it needs some renovation to modern standards.

Hope this helps someone. And thanks for the info on not needing to bleed. I'll pour in veerrryyy slowly.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:44 AM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

What water ISNT is a good lubricant. Use straight water & water pump will seize eventually. Water can carry more BTU's than any other liquid, it is the BEST coolant. Anti-freeze gives lubrication & other benefits. Go by manufacturer's recommendations.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:55 AM
daoh

Hmmm, I guess all the Stock Car racers at our local track use the wrong stuff....every one of them (including the ones running the $50,000 plus motors) use Water Wetter and distilled water in their engines....They all have aluminum radiators andmost have aluminum heads. The Nascar rules won't let them run antifreeze because it is too slick for the track if any leaks out.
Old 05-13-2007, 04:51 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

I shouldn't say water wetter is bad... Its not. Its a great protectant. What I meant to say is hyper-lube protected 22% better in aluminum applications after a week of testing in the test I read. Which I just spent 20 minutes looking for and couldnt find.

They were even in copper testing.

They were even in cooling with anti-freeze included.

Water Wetter was the best by far for cooling with straight water.

Quick Reply: Do I need to bleed after coolant change?