Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flowmaster exhausts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 01:00 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Default Flowmaster exhausts?

Haven't read too much about them Pro or con - I'm pretty new though.

How do they compare with FRPP/Borla?

Anyone have them - are they the ones that you can remove a part to make them louder/quiter?

What models are there and what is the difference?

Lots of questions I know but thanks for any help.h
Old 05-16-2007, 01:10 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Flowmaster exhausts?

Go to "Search" at the top of the screen and type in "Flowmasters." You'll get a TON of results. Good luck!

G
Old 05-16-2007, 03:18 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Thanks - found lots of info - should have searched first!
Old 05-16-2007, 05:39 PM
Dennis074.0
3rd Gear Member

i currently have a flowmaster american thunder axle-back, its not bad if you want a little bit more rumble, but it wasnt for me, way too quiet for my taste, and after the car warms up it sounds a little better than a stock muffler which is annoying.

on the plus side for me.... my SLP Loudmouths just arrived today!!!!
Old 05-16-2007, 06:21 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Thanks Dennis - that's great feedback.

Sounds like what I want is somewhere in between there - not as loud as SLPs but still a grumble at idle and acceleration.

From what I have read, FRPP/Borlas might fit the bill - GTA or Stingers unless I can find something else that is in that range.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:30 PM
SonicBlue05GT
4th Gear Member

the flow a/b is loud as hell with an o/r h-pipe. i've heard all the setups and i wouldn't trade mine in for any of them.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:00 PM
Brian_Zinchuk
4th Gear Member

I love my flowmasters... Go with the Super 44s, there the newest muffler out there for flowmaster. If you want it louder then get an o/r x or h pipe. Watch this video to get an idea of how super 44s with catted xpipe and frpp shortie headers sounds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_kD76pyCc0
Old 05-16-2007, 09:59 PM
Joolander
Lord High Protector

ORIGINAL: Brian_Zinchuk

I love my flowmasters... Go with the Super 44s, there the newest muffler out there for flowmaster. If you want it louder then get an o/r x or h pipe. Watch this video to get an idea of how super 44s with catted xpipe and frpp shortie headers sounds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_kD76pyCc0
Listen to this guy. Super 44's are the way to go for axlebacks. I absolutely love mine. I get no drone at all, and a nice, deep tone that is loud enough for my tastes (doesn't scare anyone while idleing, but a good rev works better than the horn [8D]) The best part is I only hear it on the inside when I want to hear it, but I still get lots of looks
Old 05-16-2007, 11:35 PM
moe07
2nd Gear Member

I have the American thunder flowmaster. a little louder than stock but not to loud.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:18 AM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

I'd go with Borlas, myself, but it's a personal choice.

I went to a Good Guys car show where Flowmaster was one of the sponsors, and they had a big booth set up there. I was trying to get info on some of their mufflers for my '74 Corvette project, and I asked the guy what he'd recommend for a performance muffler.

All that the factory rep could focus on was "Well, we've got some of the best sounding mufflers out there, that'll give you a great sound and tone."

"Yeah, but what about flow characteristics? I want something that'll be efficient flow for my car, as I'm trying to get something that sounds stock but allows better flow than the stock mufflers."

"Well, tone is important, because it tells you about how the car's running. Don't you want a car with that muscle car rumble?"

"No. I want to create a sleeper."

I'm sorry, but if a guy who is supposed to be a factory rep can't tell me the info I want to know about their products, or can't steer me in the direction of what I want to know, and instead focuses JUST on how it sounds without listening to what I'm after...Well, it reflects poorly on the company.

Quick Reply: Flowmaster exhausts?